Instructor bent after running out of air at 40m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very strange story that 4 INSTRUCTORS are diving, 2 of them run out of air on the bottom. Then they have to share air and at 30 m. all 4 tanks are empty. No equipment malfunctioning, no strong downward currents mentioned. I think that some important facts are omitted in this story. Or these so called instructors were brainless idiots. There is no other explanation.

Sounds like they went past bottom time. I would assume that’s pretty bad DCS for someone that was not in deco.

I share the sentiments:
Very sorry for the kid ... and the way things are presented and colored as "unpredictable" in the story appears absurd to me as well. It maybe could be explained if it maybe, possibly originated as a fund raising story (one might do what one might have to). But still, it really comes across as absurd to me.

It's possible the writer was referring to buddy breathing. There is no excuse for running out of air. Four "instructors" running out is inconceivable.
And if he is referring to buddy breathing that would mean they didn't have octos?

This story stinks. How, after two guys are OOG, did you only ascend 5 meters before the other two ran out? He made it sound like the first two guys blew through their gas way to fast, which would leave me to believe the other two had enough gas. I mean if I were somehow in their situation we're all going straight up to our safety stop depth pretty quick, like 60 ft. per minute quick and then reevaluating our gas supply. I can only assume they were narked and their "inexperience" left them hanging around at 40-35 meters way too long.

instructors ? I doubt it- maybe they were master scuba or something and the paper got it wrong either way - a shambles

Just read the transcript and I found an important clue. The diver's own words:

"So, a couple of people ran out of air before they'd planned to run out of air, if you know what I mean."

Apparently their dive plan was to run out of air. Hard to tell if this was a standard feature of their typical dive plan, or if this dive was special in that respect.

It is interesting how often he mentions, in the interview, their "extensive training"... how it qualified them to dive to 130 ft, how it allowed them to resist panicking, how it allowed him to instantly recognize his DCS symptoms... but failed to teach them to check their SPG.

A wild hypothesis: one person set up the gear for all four, barely opened the tank valve on each, the regs breathed just fine at the surface, but breathed harder (and mimicked OOA) at depth. This also would explain why the other two appeared to run OOA upon sharing.

But all four individually neglecting to open their valves all the way is harder to conceive than one person doing the same to all four.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom