Injured Bottom of Both Feet - Certification Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spacemanspiff862

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Diving Community!

I am new to diving (currently 1x dive away from receiving my open water certification) and I'm currently dealing with an injury that is confusing me.

6 days ago I did 3 dives (~30 minutes each, maximum 45' depth, 64 degrees F water temperature) off the coast of Southern California. Dives went well no issues to report during the dives themselves.

My fins are Tusa Hyflex (USA 10-14 size) and by booties are Cressi 5mm dive boots (size 13). I am a size 13 shoe (US).

16 hours after my last dive I wake up with an immense amount of pain in the balls of both of my feet. Incredibly tender, sore, swollen, very difficult to walk. I have since developed lots of bruising, on both feet.

The pain has been present for 5-6 days, I've noticed it reducing slightly. A podiatrist took an X-Ray, nothing is broken, and they think I have turf toe. Others have mentioned fin foot, allergic reaction, etc.

I am looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience and if so what was the root cause / contributing factors for this.

Really appreciate any and all ideas / guidance.

Thank you!

Clearly, you need to stop using those fins. They don't work for you. It's like a bad fitting pair of shoes. Works for some, but not for others. My wife had a similar injury to the TOP of her feet from a different pair of fins. They were not the first she ever used, just a new pair after many years. She got something different, and all was well.

Have you ever had any similar foot problems from other shoes? Do these booties actually fit you well? Can you wear them around the house comfortably for a day? I would want to narrow down if it was the booties or fins. Proceed from there.

Another thought. Lots of new divers swim WAY TO FAST. Scuba is a slow and relaxed sport. It's not about speed and distance. Be sure to go slow and stop to look around. Improve your buoyancy so you can stop and not sink without needed to kick all the time. Ask about frog kicking rather than flutter kicking.

Clearly, you need to stop using those fins. They don't work for you. It's like a bad fitting pair of shoes. Works for some, but not for others. My wife had a similar injury to the TOP of her feet from a different pair of fins. They were not the first she ever used, just a new pair after many years. She got something different, and all was well.

Have you ever had any similar foot problems from other shoes? Do these booties actually fit you well? Can you wear them around the house comfortably for a day? I would want to narrow down if it was the booties or fins. Proceed from there.
Thanks for the quick response here Dave, much appreciated!

Yeah it's very possible that it's my fins or booties or both. What's a best way to assess fin fit and comfort? My booties feel very comfortable, could definitely walk around for a bit in those no problem.

During my dive we went down a ladder to get in and out of the water (10 rungs) and I thought putting all my weight on the balls of my feet (plus the weight of my gear) contributed to it.

Just curious about what I should try next for my next dive trip.

If you injured your feet going up the boat ladder and were using flexible neoprene booties your answer may be to get a pair of stiff soled booties to distribute the weight of you and your gear over a wide portion of your foot. It may have nothing to do with your fins.

I use stiff soled booties for shore dives in Bonaire because of the horrible Ironshore one must sometimes walk over.

If you injured your feet going up the boat ladder and were using flexible neoprene booties your answer may be to get a pair of stiff soled booties to distribute the weight of you and your gear over a wide portion of your foot. It may have nothing to do with your fins.

I use stiff soled booties for shore dives in Bonaire because of the horrible Ironshore one must sometimes walk over.
Yeah that's a good point as well.

I currently use these (Cressi Isla 5mm). Would these be considered a "stiff" boot?

I severely injured a foot years ago while drysuit diving because the boots I was wearing were a tad too tight. It turned out that the Morton's Neuroma I had suffered years before while playing competitive volleyball had been aggravated by the tightness of the boots. I threw out every shoe I owned that was not super wide and changed the boots, but it was a couple years before I was fully fine.

Yeah that's a good point as well.

I currently use these (Cressi Isla 5mm). Would these be considered a "stiff" boot?
I would say those are flexible.

A good way to determine if it is your fins causing your problem is go to a public lap pool and snorkel with your fins on to mimic a dive and see if it reproduces the pain. If it reproduces your pain it is your fins. If it does not then it may be the boat ladder.

Tusa Imprex would be an example of a stiff bootie.

I severely injured a foot years ago while drysuit diving because the boots I was wearing were a tad too tight. It turned out that the Morton's Neuroma I had suffered years before while playing competitive volleyball had been aggravated by the tightness of the boots. I threw out every shoe I owned that was not super wide and changed the boots, but it was a couple years before I was fully fine.
Sorry you had to deal with that, but glad it sounds like you've found some relief over the years!

I would say those are flexible.

A good way to determine if it is your fins causing your problem is go to a public lap pool and snorkel with your fins on to mimic a dive and see if it reproduces the pain. If it reproduces your pain it is your fins. If it does not then it may be the boat ladder.

Tusa Imprex would be an example of a stiff bootie.

Amazing I will check these out and will also do more practice dives. My issue is that the pain didn't show up until the next day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom