Indonesia: Bali set to welcome tourists in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long long long way to go!!!
17.60m had so far been administered in which 6.34m had completed the course ie. 2.3% of the population
The country has a population of 2.7B.

Which country has a population of 2.7B?

I have a trip to Sangalaki then Bali in August. I request to reschedule it to next year, but the liveaboard would not make any decision until June. They are dreaming if Bali will be open for American tourists by August, much less going to outside Bali.

The Mudik (going home) for this year will be very restricted by the Indonesian government. They are very aware of the extra risks and the situation in India and other countries.
How well did the Mudik ban last year work?

There are questions about economic shutdown vs waiting for the vaccines and the idea of herd immunity.

The fact is that we didn't have to have an economic shutdown if people would have recognized there was a health emergency and did their best to limit the spread of the disease. Yes, activity would have been limited and we couldn't gather but commerce could continue and has to continue. We couldn't travel and would have to eat at home. Instead many people fought that reality lead by the previous administration hoping to wish it all away, politicizing a health emergency and fighting that your freedom was being taken away because community health was a "personal choice" and some lives lost were worth it to save the economy which survived anyway. All that misinformation just fueled behavior which lead relatively inevitably to cases shooting higher and now half a million people dead.

So health measures don't automatically mean killing the economy. And I don't think we actually got to a complete economic shutdown. Many people in the service sectors lost jobs, travel was hit hard, and a lot of people had/are having tough times, but I could still go to the store essentially the whole time and find food and goods, though TP was looking scary for a while, and Amazon made a mint.

How well did the Mudik ban last year work?
It does not matter what happened last yr. And Bali is predominantly Hinduism 87%.

Question is how long would it take Bali to vaccinate 70% of her 4.4m inhabitants?

It does not matter what happened last yr. And Bali is predominantly Hinduism 87%.

Question is how long would it take Bali to vaccinate 70% of her 4.4m inhabitants?
Good governments learn from the past. I do not know ho many of the approximate 500.000 Moslim people usually living at Bali are still there. I assume many lost their jobs and did not return from Java after the going home last year. But even if only 50.000 would travel for Mudik this year it could cause new spikes in cases. Both in their home villages and at Bali if they would come back again. It seems that the Indonesian government is very aware and worried about what is happening in India, the Philippines and other countries. 3 months ago many people pointed to India to show that this pandemic did not hit all countries that hard. And that Indonesia and India have quite some things in common. I do not think it is about how much time it takes to vaccinate 70% of the people of Bali. But how much time it takes to vaccinate the world population. Until then international tourism is an huge additional risk. Maybe it is time that Indonesia and especially the few parts highly depending on tourism see this reality and start thinking about alternatives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom