Increase Flexibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was talking to my friend about valve drills the other day and we were talking about how inflexible we are. I do various exercises including weights, running, elliptical etc. but I don't seem to get any more flexible even though I stretch afterwards and so forth. What would you suggest for building flexibility? My work is offering a yoga class as we have a gym here and so forth and they do a lot of work-place fitness programs. I was thinking this would be a good opportunity but I wanted to know if there were other ways to become more flexible. Ideas?

I've been taking Yoga for about 9 years. It will take a bit before you increase your flexibility but it will happen. Plus yoga is a great exercise and a wonderful stress reliever. I would highly recommend you trying the class. Just remember at first you will not be able to do all the poses but as your flexibility increases so will your ability.

Yoga is a great idea, but also see if a trainer can help you with the stretching. Believe it or not, there is a correct way to stretch if you are looking to become more flexible. It can be a workout in itself. Most people just stretch like they have seen everyone else do it or like they "think" they should. That won't get the results you are looking for. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to do it. You need to have someone show you and work with you.

I agree on that yoga - I do Pranayama for about 20 minutes everyday to keep flexability in my rib cage and then do lower body stretching. DUring the winter, I tend to do complete yoga workouts.

Yoga. Did I say Yoga? Has anyone mentioned Yoga? I just did some training and the valve drills were trivial.

Yoga is great for flexibility as well as calming the mind. If you wanted functionally specific stretches for diving, I have three separate articles with demonstrations of stretches specifically for divers at http://www.divefitness.com/html/articles.html.

Cameron

There is also something called 'corrective flexibility' which has to do with using a foam roll thingy to smooth muscle adhesions. For me it has helped immensely in freeing up area of my body that really felt locked by tight muscles. You can order the rolls online, but it might be best to have a trainer show you how to use them.

1 word (AKIDO) TAKEN IT , LOVE IT , HAS EVERYTHING YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT .
BREATHING ,STRETCHING,GREAT CARDIO,AND BEST OF ALL SELF DEFENSE ,IN CASE U RUN INTO A NASTY FISH ,JUST KIDDEN !

UR SCUBA BUBA FREIND SONNYT

Get someone to show you how to increase youre flexability not just maintain it, which is what most ppl stretch for before and after exercise, i found having a partner help you stretch is the best...

Akido is awesome!!! I am taking a tai chi class this semester in my college. I was introduced to tai chi from going to a buddhist monistary on a retreat. We did tai chi every morning there. Anyways, Tai Chi is a great way to combine max flexibility with breathing skills. It is almost a complete workout. A great way to start the day! Its called the "mental" martial art, or just mental art, hehe. Its like yoga, but standing... I would say if you crossed Akido with Yoga, you would get tai chi.

Yeah, its a good way to get more flexible (and have good breathing skills) and have fun while doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom