First Time Raja Ampat advice please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All! We are going on the Coralia liveaboard January 8-19, 2025 and I would love some suggestions on what to do afterwards. My thought is a land based resort in Raja Ampat, but others talk about Bali, or Lembeh, etc. This is our first time in Indonesia, and the choices are overwhelming. I have been looking at Cove eco resort, and some others in the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stay in Raja Ampat. It’s not easy to get there, so better to enjoy it there.

Read some trip reports - there’s an excellent one with experiences for different places in RA.

I'm going in December 2024 and going to Papua Paradise for the week before my liveaboard. It's in RA and I like the idea of already being in the area for my (expensive) liveaboard trip. If I had extra time after I'd go back to Bali.

There's so many options, it can be overwhelming. You will dive mostly the same sites if you stay in Raja after your liveaboard, but that's not a bad thing! I've had very different fish action at different sites on different days, even just a few days apart.

It also depends on what kind of diving you are into. Raja Ampat is incredible because it has almost everything you can ask for....but for my upcoming trip I'm spending a few nights in Lembeh because: 1) Manado is "on the way back" to Jakarta where I will need to be anyways, for my trip home 2) While Raja has lots of opportunities for little critters and macro, it isn't quite the legend that Lembeh is in that regard.

The choices can be overwhelming! The good thing is that there really is not a bad choice. If it were me I would spend a few days in Lembeh for a completely different experience, but I really like macro shooting for strange critters. Likely you will only do a small number of muck dives in RA and Lembeh is on the way back to Jakarta and is world class muck diving. Staying in RA and doing a land based experience is a good choice, but you will be doing more of the same. That may be a good thing, it certainly would not be a bad idea. The other significantly different experience would be to head over to Bali and do some touristy things on land and mix in some diving. Temples, rice paddies etc. Very different from the rest of Indonesia. There is some very good diving on Bali but be aware there is also some very mediocre diving as well. Lots of help here if you make that decision.

Part of choosing is the amount of time you have to spend. If only a few days then you might want to stay close by to minimize travel. If you have a week or so then I would explore somewhere else.

You're already in Raja Ampat (RA), so I'd make the most out of it by staying somewhere in the Dampier Strait at a land-based resort. The next decision to make is if you want a homestay (think dive camping) or a dive resort (usually with A/C). I require A/C so the choices are fewer than homestays. Take caution if you choose a homestay. Communication is often difficult with the owners, you'll need to vet the quality of the gas (maybe bring an analyzer, even for air), and find out where the drinking water comes from. Dive camping is not for me.

I was in RA November/December 2023. I stayed at Sorido Bay (SB) first then a liveaboard. It was a great choice! Being my first time diving in Asia, I wanted a broad exposure to the diving. It's a long way to go from the U.S. for just a week. With the 30-day visa, I wanted to maximize my time there. With the travel time and the diving, I spent 28 days in Indonesia.

The liveaboard went farther south, down to Misool, which was too far for the day boat ride from SB. SB is on Kri Island and literally around the corner from the world famous Cape Kri. Another advantage of staying at a resort in the Dampier Strait is the proximity to some of the premium dive sites and the opportunity to dive Cape Kri more than once. It can often be undiveable (is that a word?) because of the currents and the timing of the tides. I was lucky to dive it three times. All three times differed greatly in the conditions but still a mind-blowing dive site with the biodiversity of marine life, as you'll find all over (RA). I only had a few overlaps in dive sites, but that's never an issue for me, because each site can vary from day to day in visibility, currents, and critters.

I wrote a trip report, but I don't know how to make it a link here, but the title is: Raja Ampat, Live Report, Nov. 7-Dec. 7, 2023.

Keep in mind that the land-based resorts only have a few cottages/bungalows. SB has 7 cottages and are usually booked out a year in advance. In February 2025, I'm returning to RA, staying a week each at Cove Eco, Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, and White Manta liveaboard.

It was the best diving I've ever done and I'm forever hooked on RA :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom