Inadvertent gas switch on Shearwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Perdix is 39mm at its thickest, yeah. Once on your arm, the Ratio and the OSTC4 should be about the same profile...I know the iX3M is and the OSTC4 looks at least as big. The Perdix at least wraps around your arm, so it's not sticking 39mm up from the "top" of your arm (if that makes sense).

The Perdix is 39mm. The Ratio is 28mm, the OSTC 3 is 22mm, and the OSTC 4 is 23mm. And the SeaBear H3 is 13mm.

Jeez. You press one button with your thumb, the other with your finger. It is really not that difficult! Lighten up. Chill.

Yhea, I don't find it difficult at all to operate the Petrel even with 3mm gloves or dry gloves on.

What I find difficult is stowing my SMB on my butthole D-ring after entering the water. You know I wipe my butt every day you would think it would be no problem reaching back there to clip on a boltsnap. It remains a minor mystery to me as I have to twist my hand and sometimes the ring lays down (need me a bent ring). But I digress.

butthole.jpg

The Perdix is 39mm. The Ratio is 28mm, the OSTC 3 is 22mm, and the OSTC 4 is 23mm. And the SeaBear H3 is 13mm.

Thanks, but I knew those. Having actually worn a Perdix and a Ratio iX3M, I can tell you from first hand experience that it's no lower in profile than the Perdix once it's on your arm. You don't have to believe me, that's fine, but you should know that numbers don't tell the whole story. Do what you want, I was trying to be helpful.

Yhea, I don't find it difficult at all to operate the Petrel even with 3mm gloves or dry gloves on.

What I find difficult is stowing my SMB on my butthole D-ring after entering the water. You know I wipe my butt every day you would think it would be no problem reaching back there to clip on a boltsnap. It remains a minor mystery to me as I have to twist my hand and sometimes the ring lays down (need me a bent ring). But I digress.

View attachment 379740
LOL
You could try tying some toilet paper on your boltsnap.

View attachment 379740

I installed something similar to this. Makes deploying a SMB much easier.
Side-Mount-Tail-Plate-11708-4792.jpg

Thanks, but I knew those. Having actually worn a Perdix and a Ratio iX3M, I can tell you from first hand experience that it's no lower in profile than the Perdix once it's on your arm. You don't have to believe me, that's fine, but you should know that numbers don't tell the whole story. Do what you want, I was trying to be helpful.

Understood. I wasn't trying to argue with you. I've held the Perdix and put it on my arm. I was just putting all the specs together in one place.

Also, my concern with the thickness of the computer is not how tall it looks or something. It's how much it catches on things when I'm donning/doffing my BP/W or when I'm sticking my arm through a hole or between two tanks on a bench or whatever. At that point, the max thickness does make a difference, I think, even if it looks lower profile on your arm than it really is.

Understood. I wasn't trying to argue with you. I've held the Perdix and put it on my arm. I was just putting all the specs together in one place.

Also, my concern with the thickness of the computer is not how tall it looks or something. It's how much it catches on things when I'm donning/doffing my BP/W or when I'm sticking my arm through a hole or between two tanks on a bench or whatever. At that point, the max thickness does make a difference, I think, even if it looks lower profile on your arm than it really is.
Put your computer on last, not first.

Put your computer on last, not first.

Or use a thinner computer and not be unnecessarily constrained during my dive - or before or after - by equipment...

Back
Top Bottom