in what order do you buy gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input. I live in the Philippines and my husband and I are only interested in doing recreational diving. Since we both have to get geared up we have to get 2 of everything (hence the need for staggered purchases) The brands that we've been looking at are suunto, mares and scubapro and all of them have service centers here. (will look into those warranty issues.)

We've heard some really awful stories about rented equipment. So we do want to get our own stuff as soon as possible and we really want to make the right choices. Purchasing mistakes in this hobby can be very expensive.

And since I'm the one who instigated this new hobby of ours (but I'm starting to think he's getting more obsessed than I am. I'm starting to get phone calls from him every 2 hours or so just to talk about our next dive weekend) research falls on me. And I want to do this right.

I need some help on this topic as well. Currently the only item that I have purchased is the mask. What should I be purchasing next? Everyone seems to say to purchase the computer last but on some dives I dont feel entirely comfortable with the dive master's plan. As they are basing the dive plans on their profile in their computer which is not exactly the same as mine. I also travel a lot due to business and would try to sneak in a dive or two, so i was thinking that a computer is more compact and travel friendly. Thoughts?

kulot:
I've already purchased my wetsuit, booties, fins, mask and snorkel, which I bought for my certification course and now that I'm certified I'm wondering what I should buy next. ......

:365:

My major purchases in order as I weaned myself off rental gear:
1. BC
2. reg and computer (same purchase)
3. wetsuit
4. etc etc etc

pilot81:
I need some help on this topic as well. Currently the only item that I have purchased is the mask. What should I be purchasing next? Everyone seems to say to purchase the computer last but on some dives I dont feel entirely comfortable with the dive master's plan. As they are basing the dive plans on their profile in their computer which is not exactly the same as mine. I also travel a lot due to business and would try to sneak in a dive or two, so i was thinking that a computer is more compact and travel friendly. Thoughts?

After Mask, fins and snorkel, the usual items as a diver starts out, I would start with the items that need a good fit. There's nothing more distracting during a dive than something not fitting right. If your not an average size, chances are renting a suit that fits is slim. BCD's, also IMO, need a good fit.

So here's my order of purchase recommendation;
1. Mask fins and snorkel because they are not always available for rent. Why? Sizes. Too many to carry.

2. Exposure suit, top to bottom. Hoods, boots and gloves are also, not that available for rent.

3. BCD, the right fit so your tank isn't swaying from side to side or you don't look like a turtle in his shell on the surface. And, getting to know where the dumps and fasteners are and getting your trim right makes you more comfortable in the water. BTW, a backplate and wing will fit nearly anyone like a glove nor will it squeeze you on inflation.

4. Regulator. Everyone has regs for rent and yes they go thru rental abuse. Just check it out on a tank before leaving the shop/shore.

5. Computer I would make last, unless it comes as a package with your reg. You can still dive without one. They're nice, but, the other items are more essential. For your timer, most watches are waterproof to the average rec depth and depth guages and/or computers are rentable.

Regarding business travel/diving. Are you there long enough after a dive (12 to 24 hours) before flying again?

BC is probably the most important because you need to get used to your particular set up. It will make a difference whether you get back inflate or jacket style. Go to your LDS and try what they have in the pool to see what you like. Reg would be my 2nd purchase. There are a lot of choices out there with a lot of options. Again, try out what your LDS has to offer in the pool. You can pick up a set of gauges for a reasonable price and upgrade to a computer later. If your LDS doesn't let you try out the gear, find one that will.

What sort of computer are you looking @, because unless you get a wrist mount or Quick Disconnect. Most Computers are attached to the Reg. It sounds like you have a pretty good rental company, so if it were me I would try stick it out with the rental company & make the purchase all @ once. Not to mention you can usally get a package deal. In California they have package deals for as little as $700.00

This is how I did it:
  1. Personal Gear (mask/snorkel/fins/booties) required for certification class
  2. Wetsuit/gloves (3/2)
  3. BC
  4. Computer/Regulators/SPG (did this all at once)
Plus misc small stuff along the way. I still need a properly fitting hood and either a 7 mil suit or a drysuit. So far its still been cheaper than my golf habit. :)

Do yourself a favor and do some comparison shopping at scubatoys.com if money is a concern. Most LDS's (including mine) will only give you 10% off retail on a package, Larry at scubatoys can do MUCH better than that.

Another option to consider would be that you instructor probably sells the rental gear every year if its less than a year old when you rent it.

I vote for BC first (after the usual mask/fins/snorkle and the like). I rented quite a while to try out different equipment and get some experience before spending the big bucks.

Renting was ok, but I don't think I ever rented the same style/type/size BC. EVER. The shop guys would glance at me, and toss me a size "?". Different styles & brands, different dump valve configurations, adjustments, etc. Never had a problem with equipment failure, just bad fit and being unfamiliar with the bc.

I finally decided what style I wanted, and went from there. Another nice thing about having your own BC (aside from knowing where everything is in the dark), is you can 'load' it up with personal items like safety sausage, a mirror, knife, retractors, signal devices, etc. and have them with you on every dive. Possible on a rental, but more of a pain.

Regs came next for me, then a computer. After that, upgrades to the 'just getting certified and don't know better' equipment like fins and mask. We all need spares, right?

I was originally planning on getting a suunto mosquito (wrist mounted) but I've been hearing quite a few complaints about that particular model. So I'm thinking of going for either the Suunto Stinger or the Mares Nemo.

stoiclown:
What sort of computer are you looking @, because unless you get a wrist mount or Quick Disconnect. Most Computers are attached to the Reg. It sounds like you have a pretty good rental company, so if it were me I would try stick it out with the rental company & make the purchase all @ once. Not to mention you can usally get a package deal. In California they have package deals for as little as $700.00

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom