What to look for in used regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also watch out for regulators that no longer have parts available. Even big brands like Scubapro have several models that do not have critical parts that are available.

My suggestions for used regs:
1) only one brand makes sense in term of long term serviceability and worldwide support: Scubapro. Other brands, better to buy new and service yourself.
2) Get a medium or high range reg, with balanced first stage and two identical, balanced and adjustable second stages. In recent Scubapro lineup this means a MK17 plus 2 G260. Avoid those crap and cheap octopusses.
3) Evaluate the option of going vintage. A MK20 and two G250V can save you some money, whilst giving you exactly the same performances and reliability of the newer models.
4) You should purchase only by a reliable seller who guarantees to have fully serviced them, or from your LDS who performs service on them.
5) Evaluate the EU alternative. Scubapro regs cost half here in Europe than in US. Reputable sellers on Ebay have offers for new reg sets costing the same or less than used regs in US.

I mostly dive used regulators, condition is important but it’s hard to fairly evaluate that and experience is the best teacher.

For me, scubapro and Zeagle are my top brand choices. With SP stick with newer models and you’ll be fine for parts availability and service kits for a long time. With Zeagle service kits for first or second stages are the same across the range with the earliest Apeks made models being the only exception.

Atomic is also a solid brand look for a Z2 and you’ll be good to go for years.

What do I need to look for to ensure I’m not getting garbage?
I realize that I forgot to address this question fully.

With any regulator that has service kits available, the biggest issue is body damage. You can replace o-rings, plastic shims, and other serviceable parts. Replacing a damaged body part may be expensive. Therefore, if you settle on a reg from a reputable global maker, like ScubaPro, the only to ensure that the reg is not garbage is to open it and inspect the body. It is quite easy, but requires some tools and basic knowledge. Also, if you take it apart, who's going to put it back?

@Pbdiver84 - local services does not matter that much when you have 2 day shipping. Companies like AirTech - Home - Airtech Scuba Services - focus on reg service and do a great job. DGX services several regulator brands and is well-known.

Also watch out for regulators that no longer have parts available. Even big brands like Scubapro have several models that do not have critical parts that are available.
There are very few Scubapro regs that parts are not available for. One being MK15 and other things like the rubber inner diaphragms on the 109 type second stages.
Other than that Scubapro is one of the better ones for keeping parts going.
I can still get new OEM rebuild kits for MK5-MK10.
I can’t get springs for a MK5, but for a 40+ year old reg that’s still not bad. I have a collection if MK5’s laying around so I can have spare parts. Scubapro’s quality and the quality of their materials is what makes these things such long lasting regs.
I also forgot to mention the simple and extremely reliable MK2. It’s a very simple unbalanced first stage but an absolute workhorse. Combine that with a G250 or any balanced second stage and you have a nice economical yet great quality first set for basic recreational diving. Later, if you upgrade to a balanced first stage it can always serve as a pony reg or backup reg.
One more thing. Since Scubapro only allows dealers and authorized service centers to work on their regs, chances are better that the reg hasn’t been butchered by some DIY hack. Not to say there aren’t authorized service hacks out there, but what I’m saying is your odds of getting a clean used reg are probably better with Scubapro based on this phenomenon as opposed to a reg brand that is looser with it’s parts distribution.
Have fun!

@mr_v 2 day shipping is fine until the backlog starts or something isn’t adjusting properly.

If you have a good relationship with your LDS and tech, that means same day service from someone who knows you as a person. I’ve gone diving with my tech on trips before, and I trust him far more than a random tech rushing through a ticket.

Because used regulators seem to be 1/4 the cost of new. Recreation diving in cold freshwater as well as the occasional warm trip to the Caribbean and the like.
You should also plug in the expense of servicing into that equation of yours, about US 150.00 for labor and service kits before you even get wet; and that one-quarter of the price of new will be diminished even further . . .

Service is the huge question mark. Can you get it serviced locally (or shipped out) for a reasonable price.

I went Deep 6 because I want to do service on my own down the road and they have an absolutely amazing price to performance ratio. All in I was $1000 for two full reg sets including factory service and replacing all the hoses when buying used. Looking to pick up another set for a pony bottle.

For me, the other option was to buy Scubapro from Europe (I travel internationally a lot). Bringing home a set of MK19 or Mk25 with G260's for primary and secondary wasn't a bad deal when purchased in Europe. Plus I've used the MK2 a bunch on rentals and it's pretty rugged and works well.

You should also plug in the expense of servicing into that equation of yours, about US 150.00 for labor and service kits before you even get wet; and that one-quarter of the price of new will be diminished even further . . .
If you buy a brand new regulator you will still spend more money than if you buy a used one at a decent price and have to spend $150 for service.
In two years that new regulator will also need a $150 service so it’s not far behind.
Where the whole used deal goes south is if it turns out to be a turd, that’s where the new reg wins.
How do you know if a used regulator is any good inside? You don’t, nobody does. I guess that’s the gamble and part of the fun.

Where the whole used deal goes south is if it turns out to be a turd, that’s where the new reg wins.
How do you know if a used regulator is any good inside? You don’t, nobody does. I guess that’s the gamble and part of the fun.
Sadly, I have seen a few of these "deals so good they must crazy" in the last few years, where sealing surfaces have been trashed and ports cross-threaded -- all-too common damage from service at the local scuba shops themselves and, lately, spent rental gear.

Should have mentioned that in the previous post, as a possible booby prize, since I have had a hall of shame collection of paperweights, from clients over the years . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom