What to look for in used regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying used can be a crap shoot, cause as said you cannot see inside. And you do not know what you do not know.

But there are folks on the board that can help you beforehand, just point to the advert (and if worried about someone else snagging your deal send a DM). There are also folks on the board, myself included rebuild regs and sell regs for fun. I am an Atomic person, others focus on ScubaPro, others focus on other brands. I also know of a few eBay sellers that I would recommend.

The biggest advice is ask before buying. Asking after the fact if one got a good deal does not always work so well.

Well, don't buy any regulators that have the serial numbers ground off. Avoid all transactions that the seller wants to happen after midnight in the alley behind a biker bar. If the seller is operating out of the trunk of a car that is also loaded with knockoff watches, purses, liquor, and bootleg DVD's, I would avoid buying.

Well, don't buy any regulators that have the serial numbers ground off. Avoid all transactions that the seller wants to happen after midnight in the alley behind a biker bar. If the seller is operating out of the trunk of a car that is also loaded with knockoff watches, purses, liquor, and bootleg DVD's, I would avoid buying.
So that leaves a rendezvous on the shore of a clandestine cove under the light of the moon.

Immaterial if you're planning on servicing regulators yourself, or even shipping them out for repair -- but another thing to consider, when buying gear, new or used, are the increasingly long lists at some dive shops, of brands they will not service.

One local shop in particular, recently listed eight or so well-known brands; and my gear (heh, heh) made the top of the list . . .

Another possibility is to go with classic gear, knowing you will have to have it rebuilt, and perhaps learn to do it yourself. My personal choice, as I’ve often stated on these threads, is the brass bodied Conshelf seconds (Conshelf XIV et al) with a suitable 1st stage... I chose the C-21 or -22 paired with any one of the brass (1085) seconds. Now, the bad news, some shops claim they are “too old” to work on and they “can’t get parts from Aqua Lung” like that means anything! I’ve developed a network here and one LDS that is unconfined by the arbitrary rules of AL, so my regs are serviceable for the foreseeable future. Pick best quality, widely distributed equipment and check for serviceability and you’ll be good.:clearmask:

Froggie 🐸

First thing I would look @ the sintered filter, in the 1st stage air inlet. If it had any verdigris, that would mean salt water has made it @ least that far, probably further. Any green or blue colors, and I would pass.

1717971142060.png

Photo from @bigduke12

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom