In defense of Casual Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
Not only the total number of dives Lynne, it's the number of dives a year. How long have you been diving? Around a year? You have far more experience than someone with 300 dives over 20 years in my opinion and it is fresh in your mind. People have to dive regularly to keep skills up to an acceptable level.

Not to mention the drive you have to continually improve.
nicely put dennis, i agree with that as well!! hope you dont mind my input?

Jim, I always value your input! Thanks for taking care of a lot of vacation divers at times and keeping them safe.

I only got to dive twice last year, doe's that mean that my skills deteriorated to the point that I should not dive. Should I quit golfing because I am not a zero handicap, I never made a pro hockey team so should I not play in the beer league. I never rode the Tour De France so should I not ride a bicycle.
Vacation divers are the bread and butter of the dive industry. It would collapse with out us because there isn't enough dir's out there to support it. So you all better kiss up to us vacationers.

superstar:
I only got to dive twice last year, doe's that mean that my skills deteriorated to the point that I should not dive. Should I quit golfing because I am not a zero handicap, I never made a pro hockey team so should I not play in the beer league. I never rode the Tour De France so should I not ride a bicycle.
Vacation divers are the bread and butter of the dive industry. It would collapse with out us because there isn't enough dir's out there to support it. So you all better kiss up to us vacationers.

No, I won't kiss up to you. Diving is NOT I repeat NOT comparable to golf or hockey or soccer or ANY sport. There is no middle ground in diving, either you have a solid skillset and you keep it honed or you're a danger. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND. If you only dove twice last year I would definately not dive with you, and I hope you can find a qualified diver to babysit you while you make a mess of things. Just because you have money to throw at something doesn't suddenly put you in power, if all the vacationers disappeared from scuba and used snuba as they should, scuba divers around the world would rejoice.

superstar:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do think that your skills deteriorate somewhat SS. The longer you go only doing a few dives a year, the less sharp you become. A lot depends on age too. I know that as I get older I'm not as flexible as I used to be. I dive a lot so I adapt to it. A lot of times it might take a few dives to get back into the groove after a long layoff just like in any sport.

I would still dive with you but we would do a few easy ones first. :D

TheFoggyMask:
There is no middle ground in diving, either you have a solid skillset and you keep it honed or you're a danger. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND. If you only dove twice last year I would definately not dive with you, and I hope you can find a qualified diver to babysit you while you make a mess of things. Just because you have money to throw at something doesn't suddenly put you in power, if all the vacationers disappeared from scuba and used snuba as they should, scuba divers around the world would rejoice.

Oh give me friggin break... LOL, well put Foggy, exactly the attitude that the previous posters were ranting about...

and BTW, there are plenty of resorts/ DM's around the world who'll gladly take superstar's good money to babysit/ guide him on a nice resort dive so Foggy don't lose any sleep about it...

I wonder if Foggy is serious Mike? If so, that is a pretty naive view of how it is out in the real world... No wonder some people might get discouraged. You're right Mike, he walked right into that one.

This is a good reason to be able to quote...:D

Diver Dennis:
I wonder if Foggy is serious Jon? If so, that is a pretty naive view of how it is out in the real world... No wonder some people might get discouraged. You're right Jon, he walked right into that one.

This is a good reason to be able to quote...:D
hey lolo.. i think his name is Pakman...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom