Timing of Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an instructor i would not recommend 4 dives a day when 2 of them are deep dives, no matter how fit you are. Bear in mind that deep dives can be hard on your physics, especialy when you are not an experienced deep divers but new to it.
Make sure you are well rested and don't drink (to much) alcoholics the night before.
If you would be diving with us 4 dives a day with 2 being deep would be a no go, 3 would be the max.
This for your own protection but also to avoid legal claims in case of diving accident with the diving profile you will build up.

As an instructor i would not recommend 4 dives a day when 2 of them are deep dives, no matter how fit you are. Bear in mind that deep dives can be hard on your physics, especialy when you are not an experienced deep divers but new to it.
Make sure you are well rested and don't drink (to much) alcoholics the night before.
If you would be diving with us 4 dives a day with 2 being deep would be a no go, 3 would be the max.
This for your own protection but also to avoid legal claims in case of diving accident with the diving profile you will build up.
I wouldn't want to do that on shore dives in a cold German lake either. But this will be in Cozumel, which means boat dives in warm, clear tropical water. Also mostly low effort drift diving. Typical boat trips will have the first dive deeper and then a second dive at 15m or less. I'd happily do this if nitrox was available.

I do agree that you would want to be well rested and not hungover.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
Until I saw your post, I was considering doing the first two depths in the morning of day 1 (1st dive 18-30 meters, 2nd dive 24-30 meters) and then two rec dives in the afternoon. On the second day, just two AM dives, one being the required 30-40 meter dive followed by a rec dives. PM off. Day 3, 2am dives, 2 pm dives. Surface interval about 2 hours between conclusion of 2nd and beginning of 3rd dive. Day 4, either two AM rec dives only or no dives at all.

When we are in French Polynesia last year, we averaged 20 m during our dives. We went down a little further to 25 m once but didn't notice any difference.

At 30 and 40 msw it'll be blu-er and your gas and NDL will run down faster, but the chances that you'll notice significant "martini effect" on a Caribbean reef dive are at best a maybe. I.e. don't expect too much.

At 30 and 40 msw it'll be blu-er and your gas and NDL will run down faster, but the chances that you'll notice significant "martini effect" on a Caribbean reef dive are at best a maybe. I.e. don't expect too much.
People respond differently. Hard to say how a particular individual will be affected.

People respond differently. Hard to say how a particular individual will be affected.
There is data that Caribbean divers in warm water experience DCS at drastically lower rates (like 15x lower) than cold water divers. Narcosis may trend similarly.

My OW instructor had a rescue story about Bahamas I think, or some other place with a wall going down "all the way", where he ran into a couple following it down being very obviously very happy, laughing an' all... he turned them around and pointed them up.
That is the only warm water Caribbean narcosis story I ever heard.

Not to say it won't happen, but if one's been to 25 msw and didn't feel anything special, chances are 5 more metres won't make an appreciable difference.

My OW instructor had a rescue story about Bahamas I think, or some other place with a wall going down "all the way", where he ran into a couple following it down being very obviously very happy, laughing an' all... he turned them around and pointed them up.
That is the only warm water Caribbean narcosis story I ever heard.

Not to say it won't happen, but if one's been to 25 msw and didn't feel anything special, chances are 5 more metres won't make an appreciable difference.
I feel a huge difference between 35 and 45m.

There is data that Caribbean divers in warm water experience DCS at drastically lower rates (like 15x lower) than cold water divers. Narcosis may trend similarly.
Citation? I'd like to know more about this. For example, the typical cold water diver is going deeper than the typical Caribbean diver, in my experience. Is this kind of difference in the kind of diving accounted for in your data?

Citation? I'd like to know more about this. For example, the typical cold water diver is going deeper than the typical Caribbean diver, in my experience. Is this kind of difference in the kind of diving accounted for in your data?
DAN elearning, a dive medicine webinar they turned into a course called “The optimal path”. Compared Scapa Flow wreck divers, Navy trials, and Caribbean divers. There was also a slide on Navy trials combining warm/cold water during a dive and at the safety stop- a 20x difference in DCS risk.

Back
Top Bottom