Immigration Changes in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's been an ongoing thread on Trip Advisor about this topic. Similar tone and comments here, but a few data points and a bit more background info.

There have been ongoing checks with immigration On Cozumel. I havent seen any lately though. There is a an area just before the marina that appears to be a check of some kind but i havent seen anyone there pulling people in. Immigration was also at the ferry terminal often checking documents. We had some Canadians down who have 20 days marked for their tourist card instead if 180. Things are changing but its nothing to get too excited about.

Actually, these regulations are not "new" they have just never been strictly enforced. Immigration officials have ALWAYS had the right to stop anyone at any time to request verification of legal status in the country, whether as a tourist or a resident. Likewise, they have always had the right to determine length of stay, although I have never known them to abuse this power. When I first moved to the island over 20 years ago, the norm was to give 60 - 90 days, 180 was unheard of without going to the immigration office and asking for an extension. The 180 day thing invited more illegal immigrants to stay longer and work under the table. Personally, I am thrilled to see they are finally cracking down and monitoring this now.

Never carry your original passport around however, keep a photo copy of your passport and tourist VISA with you and leave the originals in your safe. This is what was recommend to me by one of the immigration agents that has been a mainstay there for over 20 years. This is also what the US Consulate recommends and what I used to recommend to my guests.

Mine stays locked up in my room until Covid test day. Expats on FB post about carrying photos of both on their phone sufficing.
Exactly only copies are advised - this advice comes from the US Consulate and directly from an immigration agent - carrying your original passport and VISA around is just foolish and will leave you stranded for additional days if lost as well as extra expenses

There have been many reports of these checks all over Mexico for a number of months. Seems to be a nation wide effort and not just a' Mexican shakedown'

There was a good video posted by a popular Akumal blogger recently for those looking for a good explanation

We saw what looked to be a police checkpoint by the marina today. A few orange cones a police car and no people manning the checkpoint. I have see that a few times north and south of town. I have never seen any one getting stopped. We do keep our residency card and local drivers license with us. I doubt we would ever carry around our passport.

Exactly only copies are advised - this advice comes from the US Consulate and directly from an immigration agent - carrying your original passport and VISA around is just foolish and will leave you stranded for additional days if lost as well as extra expenses
Yep, my daughter allowed my granddaughter to carry her own in China where one must carry the original. They couldn't even check into a hotel after the latter one lost hers at a subway until they filed a claim at the embassy. Glad I talked her into carrying copies of their PP pages and spare PP photos in a separate bag and into taking trip insurance as they were several days late returning after Fedexing a letter from the SIL, etc.

On my recent 9 day stay, we rented a car although we were staying at Allegro. Passed by the "checkpoint" several times and was never stopped. Sometimes a few officers were talking to a car or scooter they had stopped. A few times they looked straight at me and didn't move. Either I was lucky or they had no interest in an Isis rental car.

Laws are laws but I'm not sure what the concern is with overstays that are infusing external cash into their economy. Certainly they would have an interest in removing people working illegally and taking cash out of their economy.

Asking how long you are staying and then giving you that much time is ok until you test positive and have to stay another two weeks.

While traveling around the island with our PR friends we were stopped at the marina checkpoint.
They showed their green card, we handed him our FMM, No passports is all he wanted. He thumbed through till he found the stamped date of arrival handed back and let us pass. We had photos on our phones but not the stamped page, who knew.

While traveling around the island with our PR friends we were stopped at the marina checkpoint.
They showed their green card, we handed him our FMM, No passports is all he wanted. He thumbed through till he found the stamped date of arrival handed back and let us pass. We had photos on our phones but not the stamped page, who knew.
Which agency was manning the check point?

Back
Top Bottom