New Norte Today 28JAN- Thursday 01FEB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I see.

At the moment (10AM Wednesday 2/7/24) I see guys filling buckets with the stuff and carrying it off. They have a whole lot of work ahead of them.
I took a look first thing this morning and did a slow whistle. At least this is kinda rare for the west side. Imagine having to do that almost every day, all spring & summer on the mainland. Where do they dump it all?

I took a look first thing this morning and did a slow whistle. At least this is kinda rare for the west side. Imagine having to do that almost every day, all spring & summer on the mainland. Where do they dump it all?
They have made progress but they still have a lot of work ahead of them.

They have moved up from buckets to wheelbarrows. Is this going on all over the west side of the island? What a mess!

At the moment (noon 2/8/24) at this location they are digging up the sand a bit back from the waterline and burying it.

I saw that! And said to myself, I guess that's where it goes when the dumpsters are full lol. I was more thinking about the mainland during peak sargassum season. They must have opened up new areas in the jungle just to dump the stuff.

I saw that! And said to myself, I guess that's where it goes when the dumpsters are full lol. I was more thinking about the mainland during peak sargassum season. They must have opened up new areas in the jungle just to dump the stuff.
Not to mention how much harder it has to be to clean up when the stuff is on and in rocks rather than on a flat sandy area.

They are making good progress and there are people out in the water today.

I believe the port is closed today. At least that was the report from Tres Pelicanos last night.

Isn't it illegal to snorkel during a port closure. I know it would be hard to totally enforce, but it was my understanding all ocean activities are suspended when the port is closed.

Am I incorrect?

translation of the lower note:
NOTE: From 10:00 p.m. the Port is closed to navigation for vessels less than 15 meters in length and
suspension of all types of recreational aquatic activity throughout the jurisdiction of the island of Cozumel, so all precautions and safety measures relevant to navigation must be taken by the entire maritime community.

So yes, like most closures it covers ALL activities on BOTH sides of the island. This is a small boat closure to craft less than 15M (49Ft). Enforcement is another issue but the port captain can fine the hell out of an operator if they violate the closure, again it is Mexico so enforcement may be spotty.

Attachments

• 12-02-24 PM.pdf
    157.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Doc - 12-2-2024 - 4-10 p. m..pdf
    442.2 KB · Views: 30
translation of the lower note:
NOTE: From 10:00 p.m. the Port is closed to navigation for vessels less than 15 meters in length and
suspension of all types of recreational aquatic activity throughout the jurisdiction of the island of Cozumel, so all precautions and safety measures relevant to navigation must be taken by the entire maritime community.

So yes, like most closures it covers ALL activities on BOTH sides of the island. This is a small boat closure to craft less than 15M (49Ft). Enforcement is another issue but the port captain can fine the hell out of an operator if they violate the closure, again it is Mexico so enforcement may be spotty.
It should be short and probably open tomorrow. It was here in Galveston County on Sunday night late and ended Monday…that is the way it usually works!

Dave Dillehay

Back
Top Bottom