ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should be fine in a week. The biggest problem for you if you have not done cold water would probably be decreased dexterity.

Depends on the person.

I used to think if you had spent time out in the cold and were used to it, the age of diver and what kind of shape you are in. But both of my teen aged sons are in great shape and spend lots of time outside and they get so cold in cold water diving.

A few years ago I met a crazy BSAC diver (which is a redundant term) who told me of his first ever ice dive. He arrived at a local, frozen-over quarry and found someone who agreed to take him in as a newbie. The "experienced" ice diver simply jumped into the hole and went for a swim - no line of any sort, no compass bearing. Figuring that the experienced ice diver must be really good with underwater navigation based upon the many car wrecks, etc., in the quarry, the newbie also simply jumped in and kept up. When it came time to turn, the experienced ice diver looked about trying to spot the hole (which was, of course, now too far away to see). Then he freaked out, darting here and there, burning lots of air. Finally, he gave up and went limp at the ice surface. The newbie pulled out a knife and chiseled a hole through the ice (UK - not too thick) and inserted his snorkel through the hole - at least he wasn't going to run out of air. He did likewise for the experienced ice diver, who seemed to recover enough to panic again, and took off in another direction. Luckily, somehow both managed to find the exit hole. The experienced diver took off like a shot into his car and was not heard from again.

So how much training would be required to make an ice dive safely? Lets say I, an experienced diver but one who has never been in the cold, wanted to do this. Is this something I could accomplish in a week while on vacation somewhere cold or would I have to schedule several trips up north over the course of a year to get up to speed?

Salty - are you used to drysuit diving with thick undies, lots of lead, and thick gloves?

Depends on the person.

I used to think if you had spent time out in the cold and were used to it, the age of diver and what kind of shape you are in. But both of my teen aged sons are in great shape and spend lots of time outside and they get so cold in cold water diving.

Ok I put it more detailed. Dexterity in your hands. People who are not used to thick gloves will most likely have more problems with handling their gear.

Ok I put it more detailed. Dexterity in your hands. People who are not used to thick gloves will most likely have more problems with handling their gear.

One of the first things that a diver begins to loose in cold water diving is the dexterity in their hands due from the lost of blood in their limbs. Gloves or no gloves.

tethering approach is not a PADI approach it's used by rescue operations.

Maybe I should have been clearer about that. I know it's not PADI's invention. I said that because I can only compare the IANTD and PADI approaches. I'm not familiar with how any other agencies teach ice diving.

R..

Last edited:
Thank you for linking this. Wonderful information!

The Rubicon is fantastic. You can get lost for days reading the stuff they have. Especially on decompression studies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom