ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shakehead: Still not getting it. If you want clear as Caribbean waters, just go there!

Seriously --- why would you want to do that!?!??!

:shakehead: Still not getting it. If you want clear as Caribbean waters, just go there!

Your profile indicates you're strictly a warm water vacation diver, right? Sure, there are plenty of reasons to love warm water exotic diving.... Convenience isn't one of them, for most of us, I think.... :wink:

Here are a few reasons why people like to dive in local cold water:
  • Local diving means accessible, inexpensive and frequent diving
  • Thermal protection can provide complete comfort
  • Overcoming challenging conditions is rewarding
  • Just feeling weightless underwater is a big enough draw for many people
  • Seemingly uninteresting environments can have much to offer if one has the right attitude :D
Dave C

Last edited:
I think that you have received good input from the group. I would recommend John Heine's book. He has a great deal of experience in operational polar diving. For those who wonder why anyone would want to ice dive, the underwater beauty of polar ocean environments are worth any discomfort. The visibility can be several multiples of the best tropical visibility. It is difficult to comprehend until it is experienced. Add to that the beauty that can be found in the ice canopy and related natural structures; ranging from smooth to unbelievably complex and from persistent to amazingly fast developing. Then consider the endemic life, some species at least superficially similar to other ocean environments and some wildly unusual. Finally, there is the satisfaction of overcoming technical challenges to dive safely. Put it together and you have what can be the pinnacle of a long diving career. Lake ice diving holds a shadow of the same appeal but it a great way to see if ice diving should remain on an active or 'done' personal list.

My advice before taking an ice diving course is to make sure that the instructor or instructors have significant personal experience with it. Operational experience will bring relevance into the program unlikely to be matched by an individual or team familiar only with the lake training ice diving scenario. As diving education consumers, the best way to ensure high quality programs is to demand them. Look for the most qualified source for any specialty training.

I have attached a brief review of Antarctic research diving here.

Attachments

• Pollock Sci Dive Antc DHM 2007 37 4 204-11.pdf
    311.3 KB · Views: 108
Your profile indicates you're strictly a warm water vacation diver, right? Sure, there are plenty of reasons to love warm water exotic diving.... Convenience isn't one of them, for most of us, I think.... :wink:

Here are a few reasons why people like to dive in local cold water:
  • Local diving means accessible, inexpensive and frequent diving
  • Thermal protection can provide complete comfort
  • Overcoming challenging conditions is rewarding
  • Just feeling weightless underwater is a big enough draw for many people
  • Seemingly uninteresting environments can have much to offer if one has the right attitude :D
Dave C

Excellent points - most seem to point to the necessity and closesness of the diving. I thoroughly understand that, as we have to drive five hours to dive.

The thought of immersing one's self in an environment where the water is so cold it burns your exposed skin . . . especially when your surface interval is in dang near the same environment . . . :shocked2: <shiver> :cold:

Yep, I'm a warm water wuss . . .

I was initially going to stay out of the debate concerning tethered and untethered diving since there is no simple answer. However, particularly given the recent report of an under ice diving fatality in British Columbia (digitaljournal.com/article/286107), it deserves attention.

Classically, all under ice training was done on tethers. There are several good reasons for this to continue. Practice is important to learn effective line communications, especially so for recreational divers who would not typically have experience with line diving. Good visibility can also make it easy to travel farther from the hole than wise with limited experience and, in many cases, primary equipment like regulators not adequately tested for ice diving conditions. Stirring up the bottom or traveling unguided from the hole can make it possible to lose track of the exit point. Currents are not a problem in lakes, but they can be in rivers or ocean environments.

Operational protocols vary between polar research diving programs. Many only allow tethered diving. The US program is more flexible, but tethered diving remains an option when concerns over limited visibility, current, disorientation, experience, etc., may exist. Untethered operations certainly provide more freedom, but they also demand greater individual expertise and thoughtful execution.

I am willing to see professionals accept a certain degree of well thought out risk, but I think that recreational 'experience' programs must be conservative. Tethered diving provides the opportunity to learn how to effectively dive with and communicate through a tether. This experience can be very useful if the diver goes on to more flexible professional endeavors. At the same time, tethered divers can enjoy wandering around and maintain the ability to rapidly moblize exiting support. This is all win-win - learning, low stress, and enhanced safety.

I view reel techniques as more advanced; appropriate for those who want more than the initial taste. My biggest concern in promoting flexibility in recreational training techniques too early, however, regards how divers might interpret latitude. I don't know whether or how the diver in British Columbia was ice trained or if going under the ice canopy was thoughtless. I do believe that reinforcing the need for carefully planned, thoughtfully executed and extemely well-supported diving can reduce the likelihood of unwelcome ends.

especially when your surface interval is in dang near the same environment . . . :shocked2: <shiver> :cold:

Our surface environment will be considerably colder, though likely not as thermally conductive.

:shocked2:
In a few moments, your doorbell will ring . . . go meet the nice gentlemen, they have a special jacket just for you . . . they will take you to a special place . . .

:rofl3: Seriously --- why would you want to do that!?!??!

Many reasons the main one being far better visibility than the summer season, the hole is right there like so easy entry, added to the fact with a dry suit and undies you will be quite warm.

Excellent points - most seem to point to the necessity and closesness of the diving. I thoroughly understand that, as we have to drive five hours to dive.

The thought of immersing one's self in an environment where the water is so cold it burns your exposed skin . . . especially when your surface interval is in dang near the same environment . . . :shocked2: <shiver> :cold:

Oh, get tough! :)

The other point that is missed is that ice diving is some of the most social diving you'll ever see. Around here we bring out tents, heaters for the tents, portable bbq's, and it's not uncommon to have 30 or more people come out. We'll cut two or three holes and spend all weekend just having a great time.

That kind of social diving event doesn't happen in the summer when it's much easier to just go out individually and dive.

Ice diving isn't uncomfortable in the least unless you fail to plan for it.

Agreed re: the social aspects of ice diving. The teamwork involved in creating holes creates a wonderful sense camaraderie. I had a blast the weekend I took my class in Idaho. Haven&#8217;t been since, but perhaps someday again. (I dream of diving Antarctica.) Also, yes, read John Heine's book. He was my DSO why back I was affiliated with Moss Landing Marine labs, and he knows his stuff.

And finally, I'm very proud of my PADI ice diving specialty card with a bottlenose dolphin on it! Hah!! :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom