I wore a jacket style BCD yesterday....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
... and I didn't die. Probably because I had blade fins.

But I was foot heavy. I was given a shorty and an HP117 steel cylinder that i put as high on my back as I could. I had no other weight.

Maybe someone needs to invent the opposite of ankle weights. Maybe call them ankle bladders? Each ankle would require a separate LP hose. You'd inflate it fully on the surface, then inflate as you descend. A small OPV on each would release gas on ascent.

What do you folks think? Before you folks think about stealing my brilliant idea, it's now patented in the US Europe, and China.

So, I use a hybrid style jacket bc. It's got high trim pockets up by the shoulders. One or two pounds in each, and I'm right as rain. Nice float position on the surface, not face down, and nice and level under water.

I believe Poseidon made some flips that had styrofoam filled wings at the tips.

Flopped in off a LOB, went toes up, and made the DMs wonder how bad the week would get.

Just get the arm pool wings meant for little kids and try those on your ankles. 🤣😂
I'm a married man and am afraid that this would be too much of an aphrodisiac for the ladies 😂

Maybe someone needs to invent the opposite of ankle weights. Maybe call them ankle bladders?
It's been invented. A Drysuit!

I too am foot heavy. On descent I do a few contortions to get the right amount of air in each foot and Voila! Perfect trim!

What do you folks think?
I think you should slide the tank up about a foot and a half. And make sure you have a good layer of neoprene on the back of your head.

I have always been a little foot/leg heavy. Plus my fins are negatively buoyant. Your idea makes sense, though a bit complicated-- more hoses, etc.
Many years ago I had a solution-- I attached those tiny football shaped boat bumpers to each ankle (I think).
It worked, but was cumbersome and looked stupid. Now I just adjust my swimming to keep fins off the bottom. Of course, diving solo it's no big deal if they touch sand once in a while. Switch fins? No, I like my heavy split fins and am too cheap anyway.

Back
Top Bottom