I want to move to LA area...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So my wife and I are seriously considering moving to LA (area) in the next year or so. We got hooked on diving a few years back and are sick of freezing our ends off in NYC. We are originally from Florida and NY life isn't all that it was 6 years ago.

I have spent some time watching and reading here and also researching on other sites and the diving looks awesome. It seems that one could dive almost year round and that dive groups are all over the place. I'm not sure what I am trying to ask, maybe I am looking for positive reinforcement. I guess it looks so great, maybe what I am asking is what are the negatives? Is it really possible to shore dive year round? Are conditions bad more than I might think? Any thoughts on moving to LA (not just as a diver) from you all would be nice. Is the traffic really that bad? Crime? Thanks again folks! Is Catalina Island as cool as it looks on the internet and TV? How are conditions in Feb. and March? We dive dry. We are consididering a quick trip during the winter to check it out...

Jason

I love So. Cal. Sometime, while travelling, I think, 'Yep, I could live here." Then when I get home, I realize that So. Cal has everything I want (and some things I don't). Where else could you ski on Saturday and dive on Sunday? The traffic does stink. Try and live close to your work. Crime is everywhere. There are good and bad neighborhoods, just like any city.

What are your careers? Do you have children?

Caution! Living in Los Angeles is hard to beat. I came here over thirty years ago and find that I can't leave. The weather is almost perfect almost all the time. There are no bugs...well, not many. You have everything available to you within a short drive: you like Albanian food? We got it. We can dive nearly every weekend. Catalina Island is a boat ride away.

Down side: housing costs are out of sight (of course, coming from NYC you may feel right at home.)

jlyle:
The weather is almost perfect almost all the time.

Sigh....today is just about perfect...I am going to take my convertable to work today with the top of the car down........

Ok, I know that people who live in LA usually love it, but I am a suburbs girl all the way. There is not much that could make me want to live in dirty, dusty, crowded LA county - even the nice parts. I know that Ken will disagree , but growing up in Orange County to move to La Jolla for school (go UCSD!) and then moving from there to LA (USC) for grad school, to finally settle back down again in OC, I have to say that I hope to never again move back into Los Angeles. South of LA is great (actually, coastal is nice. Inland is also dry and too hot for me), though - San Diego is gorgeous. Also crowded and trafficy, but somehow nicer than I found LA to be. Don't mean to offend anyone, but that's just my feelings.

That said, I do love So Cal in general. Have thought about moving north (oregon maybe) many times before, but always come back to the thought that there is EVERYTHING here that I could want. Theater, shopping, culture, museums, parks, nature. A 2 hour drive to beach, desert, or mountains - take your pick. Plus, you can go for a quick weekend trip in state (San Luis Obispo area is a nice, quick getaway),out of state (Phoenix and Vegas - both 5 hours away), or even out of the country into Mexico. And, of course, the weather seldom goes below 50 degrees (and that's during the freak cold spot - usual temp in the 70's). No need to worry about snow/ice/pipes bursting/ roofs caving in, hurricanes, etc.... that you hear about in other parts of the countries. And, really, earthquakes are not that bad (at least, none of the ones that I've lived through).

Of course, the focus here is the diving, and in my opinion, you can't beat it. Year round kelp forests, abundent marine life - from sea lions to sand dollars and everything in between. Good beach and boat diving, lots of dive shops to choose from (check out Reefseekers if/when you move here - they're in Beverly Hills and they're the best, IMHO), approx. 20 local charters every weekend, and lots of dive clubs to socialize and meet people through. Plus, there are a lot of us on the board, and you'll get the honor of attending a Wrinkles' dive if you come here - how can you say no to that? :eyebrow:

Good luck - let us know if you have any more specific questions!

I prefer San Diego, to many mad people driving in LA, let's not talk about the plastic, or is it saleen???

scubadobadoo:
So my wife and I are seriously considering moving to LA (area) in the next year or so. Is the traffic really that bad? Crime? Is Catalina Island as cool as it looks on the internet and TV? How are conditions in Feb. and March? We dive dry. We are consididering a quick trip during the winter to check it out...

Jason

My fiancee and I moved here 14 months ago from manhattan (New York City). We moved for the weather and outdoor lifestyle.

We chose Marina del rey (next to venice beach) because the temperature here usually maxes out at 75 degrees, where inland in can get 90-105. There is almost zero traffic right where we are, but in most parts of LA there is heavy traffic. Very little violent crime here, but that can change in other places.

I shore dive several times a week, in a wet suit, and I'm fine. You'll have no problem in a dry suit. Catalina island is beautiful, and the diving there is great, but for me it's a hassle to get to. I'll leave it to other to explain how long it takes to get there, and the cost. I prefer driving 25 minutes, parking my car, and I can be in the water within 5 minutes.

The best shore diving is in La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Palos Verdes, and Malibu. (No offense meant if I missed anywhere). Oh, I forgot to mention, these are also the most expensive places to live in California!

I think there really are no negatives, as long as you live 1/2 mile from the water, except maybe the cost. But its cheaper than manhattan. The diving is fantastic.

Let us know if you want us to show you around during your visit.

How often would you like to dive? What criteria are important to you?

Scott & Emily

scubadobadoo:
Is it really possible to shore dive year round? Are conditions bad more than I might think? Any thoughts on moving to LA (not just as a diver) from you all would be nice. Is the traffic really that bad? Crime?
Not only can you dive year-round, but the best-kept secret of Southern California is that the diving is actually *better* in the winter than in summer. You just have to dodge the storm fronts that come through.

The worst diving here is probably from the first of spring (March-April) through early summer (June-July), when we have the annual plankton bloom -- green, green water, low vis. In 2003 we had an unusual year when the plankton bloom seemed to last forever right through mid to late fall, but 2004 has been much more normal.

As far as traffic and crime go -- compared to what? NYC? I've lived in marginal neighborhoods where I got my car broken into when I parked it on the street, and in other ones where this hasn't been an issue. Housing prices do tend to be pricey, though.

Come down to San Diego and check it out. It's a very nice spot. Traffic is better than LA but has fewer freeways (and people). It's pretty spread out like LA. The diving is pretty good as well. Being near the marina/harbor makes boat diving easy. Several shores dives, with 2 great canyons to explore along with many shallow reefs to explore. Lots of friendly divers and Los Coronados just 1 hour away by boat. I would say LA has better access to boat diving (Channel Islands, San Clemente, Catalina) with more boats as well. OC has a few really nice dive sites, with a few more decent dive spots. You have to drive to LA or San Diego to get a boat dive going. You can access the Catalina Express from Dana Point, but that's $$$$$ for shore diving. San Diego is 3rd most expensive housing-wise, behind San Francisco and Orange County. LA must be behind that (not sure). People on this board come from all over Southern California and manage to dive the range of spots... So anywhere you end up you should be able to dive a lot!

Hope this helps!

Sean

Thanks all for your informative and quick responses. I feared you would all be so positive and it would make me want to move even sooner and that has happened. My wife and I just got back from the movies (The Incredibles, very funny) and had to walk the dog in the freezing rain and we hate that more than the dog does. The sidewalk gets so cold around February that our dog actually yelps when his paws touch the ground. Yikes! The poor little guy can't even walk in the winter.

So, to answer some questions, no kids, I am an actor and a magician (see www.visitjason.com) and my wife is a payroll admin. thus we (mostly I) would need to be close to LA. My two passions are acting and diving so LA seems perfect. Plus, many of my industry friends have moved out there and they love it too. Being from Florida originally, I think and hope that the quality and living style will more closely match what I was used to in Florida. Six years in NY has made me cold and somewhat bitter. I am sick of the subway, large crowds all the time, too much noise and not enough diving. NY is great but lately I only love it "4 days a week" instead of "6 days a week" like when I first arived here six long years ago. Add the winters and the lack of good diving (I will never dive the Andrea Doria) and here I am writing to you all. Oh, I was also mugged a few weeks ago and I am sure that doesn't help my opinion. Seriously. Right next to Radio City at 2:30 pm for crying out loud and nobody helped me!!! I have had enough.

And let me add that California is so darn pretty! I love that coastline!!! Wow! I look at that and think "WOW!" I look at the NYC skyline and I think, "oh beep, here we go again!" Don't get me wrong, I really love some things about NYC, but I have come to the realization that if I am going to spend my entire life chasing a dream (acting) that may never fully materialize then I mine as well do it where it's WARM and where I can DIVE! Yeah!!!!!

Okay, TMI about myself maybe but you guys have made me excited. I think we are going to try to do a long weekend in January. We think we might spend a night on Catalina as well. Maybe some of us could get a dive in. BTW, jlyle, my wife is gillyweed_girl on rodale's page. She says hello!

Back
Top Bottom