I want to move to LA area...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I'd have to point out some major issues that affect living in LA:

1. Traffic. LA is a city built largely around the automobile, and as a result we have lots and lots of traffic. We're one of the few cities where a freeway interchange can be gridlocked in all 4 directions simultaneously, and there are several that are like that on a regular basis. Being from NYC this will probably not bother you, but another issue will, and that's the relative lack of public transportation. LA used to have a wonderful transportation system called the "Red Car" but it was ripped up in the 1950's. They are just recently starting to replace some of the lines, but it's nowhere near what it used to be, and probably never will. Which means getting around LA in an efficient manner means a car is an absolute must, which leads to the gridlock. Especially since the city is so spread out. Also, one complaint I hear from backeasters who come to LA is our unpredictable "rush hour"; on some freeways like the I-405 (San Diego Freeway) traffic jams start as 5 AM and last well into the evening.

2. Also, LA is different from most major cities (esp. back east) in that nothing is centrally located, and our downtown is absolutely devoid of any life after 6 PM and on weekends. With the exception of an area just south of the financial center, where the garment and jewelry districts are located, but these are not the best parts of town to be in, especially after dark.

3. You mentioned what's it's like here around Jan/Feb and I can say it's one of my favorite times of year, especially after the mountains behind us get snowed in. What's not my favorite time of year is July/Aug/Sept. LA may not get cold, but it does get hot, especially if you have to live inland due to the price of housing. That's also when LA's infamous smog comes out to play.

4. Housing is very expensive, and for that reason the average Angeleno commutes 30 miles each way to work, with 60 miles becoming increasingly common. Again the overwhelming majority of these people drive into work that distance.

Don't get me wrong, LA has its wonderful side too as has already been pointed out. But before you move "lock stock and barrel" to the opposite side of the country make sure you know about the disadvantages of living in LA as well.

I have to concur with the devil's advocate ...
RonDawg:
...I'd have to point out some major issues that affect living in LA:
1. Traffic. ... traffic jams start as 5 AM and last well into the evening.
It's nasty! You've seen it in Manhatten, but here it's sprawled out. Over 10 million people in the greater L.A. area, and wherever you want to go, it seems a third of them go the same way ... . During rain, even a light drizzle, it all breaks down entirely.
Our motto: Friends don't let friends drive in the rain.

When you arive at LAX there is a picture of the mayor, welcoming you to L.A. ... back in the late 80s I figured it should be a picture of Axl Rose saying "Welcome to the jungle, it's gettin' worse here every day"!
I still think that sums it up well.

One side effect of the sprawl is that it almost never feels like a big city from where you're standing, as there are few skyrise buildings ... for me that's a plus, but it's negated by the need to drive everywhere.

2. Also, LA is different from most major cities (esp. back east) in that nothing is centrally located ...
This really sucks, and it's something you'll likely miss as an actor. I certainly miss it as a photographer. There is no central area where people of our and related professions congregate, where you can immerse yourself with like spirits. Like everything else, places you meet, need to go and work are all over the place, with way to many other people in between.

3. ... favorite times of year ... & ... LA's infamous smog comes out to play.
No doubt the summers tend to be pretty bad, just have a look at the picture in my gallery. That was spring! No need for warming filters in this town. :wink:

Just about any place east of the 405 (and north of the 101) will be toasty. Your dog will yelp when he walks on the hot asphalt. And asphalt we got a lot around here.

4. Housing is very expensive ...
Very much so. As are taxes and general living expenses, gas etc. ... even energy is, with the clapboard junk they build around here and insulation being a novum rarely encountered.

Ever watched L.A. Story? It's all true!

But the diving is sublime. The kelp forest are magical.
The season is year round, there are plenty of decent dive stores and boats and a couple of good ones.

Small weekend getaways like Santa Barbara (still my favorite place, lived there for 7 years and miss it every day) are fairly close by (and that particular place has great diving, too :D ).

And places like the Sea of Cortez and Cozumel/Yucatan are fairly close by, Belize and Hawaii can be reached without too much fuzz.

CA has to be the most versatile state in the nation when it comes to natural beauty. Sandy beaches and rocky coastline. Green valleys and rolling hills, enormous forest and good sized mountains. Deserts. Quaint towns and monsterous metropolis.
We've got it all, and we shake it up good.
An amazing place, really.

Thanks for offering both sides guys. Very helpful! Caveseeker, friends have said the same thing about being too spread out and not having a centrally located spot to meet. Here in NY I know I will see 10-20 people I know well just by walking into the Equity (union) building in Times Square. NYC really is a very small place and that is a positive to living here. It's very easy to get around and see people. I would miss that.

Can anyone suggest good California dive books or web pages that give good info, especially on shore diving locations and conditions? I am looking at the Guide to Diving Catalina and have also bought NFT (Not for Tourists) Guide to Los Angeles. Also, just found sandeaters.org with lots of useful information.

scubadobadoo:
Thanks for offering both sides guys. Very helpful! Caveseeker, friends have said the same thing about being too spread out and not having a centrally located spot to meet. Here in NY I know I will see 10-20 people I know well just by walking into the Equity (union) building in Times Square. NYC really is a very small place and that is a positive to living here. It's very easy to get around and see people. I would miss that.

Can anyone suggest good California dive books or web pages that give good info, especially on shore diving locations and conditions? I am looking at the Guide to Diving Catalina and have also bought NFT (Not for Tourists) Guide to Los Angeles. Also, just found sandeaters.org with lots of useful information.

sandeaters.org is the best web site for la county dives

the best book is dale sheckler's southern california best beach dives

scott

Hey all you true Californians...remember the 70's bumper sticker that said "Welcome to California, Now Go Home!"?

Just kidding...as a SoCal lifer of 40 years now, I can't imagine living anywhere else. You need to remember though, 1/2 of California considers themselves an actor, and there's only so much work to go around. I have been to Times Square, and the number of theaters is staggering. I think we have one here somewhere, but everyone's too busy choking on the smog and sitting in traffic with their clutch leg cramping up to go see a show.

Best of luck with the move.

How do you feel about earthquakes? No one else has mentioned that, but it is a consideration. I have known people to pack up and leave.

I moved out here almost 20 years ago and don't regret it, but the car thing is a drag. I came here from DC where it was not necessary, and it was a shock to me how much of my income went towards the car, its maintenance, and the insurance. You will also miss the pizza; I'm a Jersey girl, and I still do.

As for book/dive info, check www.saintbrendan.com, the website for California Diving News; that will get you started. The Shecklers have a book on So Cal beach dives and you may find other articles of interest.

scubadobadoo:
So my wife and I are seriously considering moving to LA (area) in the next year or so. We got hooked on diving a few years back and are sick of freezing our ends off in NYC. We are originally from Florida and NY life isn't all that it was 6 years ago.

I have spent some time watching and reading here and also researching on other sites and the diving looks awesome. It seems that one could dive almost year round and that dive groups are all over the place. I'm not sure what I am trying to ask, maybe I am looking for positive reinforcement. I guess it looks so great, maybe what I am asking is what are the negatives? Is it really possible to shore dive year round? Are conditions bad more than I might think? Any thoughts on moving to LA (not just as a diver) from you all would be nice. Is the traffic really that bad? Crime? Thanks again folks! Is Catalina Island as cool as it looks on the internet and TV? How are conditions in Feb. and March? We dive dry. We are consididering a quick trip during the winter to check it out...

Jason

I would seriously consider moving to San Diego or Southern Orange County instead :wink: I love San Diego. The city is beautiful and you have a lot to do here. Heck, even our sports teams are starting to do well. Plus, we have a brand new baesball stadium downtown which is beautiful! We also have some excellent places to dive as well, Including the protected La Jolla cove, La Jolla Shores, and a lot of wrecks. We are also very close to some nice diving in Mexico like Los Coronados island!

xSandman3:
1/2 of California considers themselves an actor, and there's only so much work to go around.

The other 1/2 of them are filmmakers.

Back
Top Bottom