I want to move to LA area...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as 20 of them are divers! NYC has many actors but friends have said that LA is much worse. I can deal with that. It's the cold I hate!

Ok....as perhaps the only native...

The truth here is that the BAD part is worse than people say and the good part is not as good. My recommendations to anyone thinking about moving to California is that they would be happier wherever they are at (even if its North Dakota).

Paid for by the: Coalition to Keep California to Ourselves.

Otter:
Ok....as perhaps the only native...

The truth here is that the BAD part is worse than people say and the good part is not as good. My recommendations to anyone thinking about moving to California is that they would be happier wherever they are at (even if its North Dakota).

Paid for by the: Coalition to Keep California to Ourselves.

Another rare native, I concur. You actor types and your Harry Potter-loving wife are welcome to visit, but you cannot stay here. It Sucks.. Hot in the summer (when refreshing dips in the Pacific are nice, and the mola molas come up from colder water to get cleaned, and girls go on dive boats in bikinis), Cold in the Winter (when the mountains 2 hours away get covered in powder and you can snowboard on Sat and dive on Sunday, and the visibility in Cal waters exceeds 100 feet, and the grey whales migrate south).

There is so much traffic, it takes me nearly an hour to get to my favorite beach dive in Malibu up north or Laguna down south. If I want to stay local, it takes me TEN WHOLE MINUTES to get to my favorite local site... the horror! And then there's Catalina, and Santa Barbara, and San Diego, and Laguna, and the Malibu coastline (driving down PCH with the Santanas blowing and the sunroof open after an after work night beach lobster dive is the WORST thing in the world)......

Oh, and the kelp? You kidding me? Why would ANYONE want to dive in weeds?

:wink:

I wouldn't live here if you paid me

ChrisM:
Oh, and the kelp? You kidding me? Why would ANYONE want to dive in weeds?

:wink:

I wouldn't live here if you paid me

You should listen to this man. Who wants to dive in weeds? He should know. After all, he just won 1st place in the Calfornia NCUPS Wide-angle contest. (www.ncups.org). Nice job, Chris!

(btw, what is your favorite Malibu beach dive?)

I am a big fan of ChrisM's work. I have had the fortune of seeing his photos through scubadiving.com visits. As he mentioned, my wife frequents that board and I spend more time here.

So, here is the news. We have decided to visit the last week in January 2005. I will spend the whole week exploring and my Wife will come Wednesday night for the long weekend as her job is not as flexible as mine. We plan on spending the 27th and 28th on Catalina and hope to find a quick shore dive on Saturday the 29th in the general LA area if conditions are good. Feel free to suggest a place or invite if anyone would like the company. Ofcourse, all this is pending flights and Becky's boss allowing her time off. I will have time the entire week as I will be there the 22nd-30th, but will spend most of it driving around and looking at possible future living areas. The actual move probably won't happen until the end of the summer as we still have to sell our place.

Research I have done indicates that the diving is generally pretty good at that time unless a winter storm rolls in. Correct? Thanks again for all your opinions!

The only native??? Born in LA, lived in the Inland Empire since I was 1 year old. And yeah, kelp sucks...stay as far away from here as you can.

The answer to "where to live" will depend on what kind of environment you're looking for.

I think that the coolest thing about L.A. (read "Greater Los Angeles Area") is that you can choose from among the many "flavors" that are available. You can live in the middle of the "madness" or at the edge of a National Forest. You can choose to live in one environment and visit all the others whenever you want. It's the diversity that makes this the coolest place on Earth. Of course, the weather can't hurt.

Make a list of what you want to see in an area where you'd want to live. Based on that, someone familiar with all that L.A. has to offer can help narrow your choices.

Keep in mind that depending on who you ask, the "Greater Los Angeles Area" can be described as an area 40 miles wide and 140 miles long. It is helpful to narrow things down a bit when you start looking.

Christian
(another one of those California natives)

scottfiji:
You should listen to this man. Who wants to dive in weeds? He should know. After all, he just won 1st place in the Calfornia NCUPS Wide-angle contest. (www.ncups.org). Nice job, Chris!

(btw, what is your favorite Malibu beach dive?)

Thanks Scott

Favorite Malibu beach dive....hmmmmm, my favorite beach dive is Malaga, as for Malibu, I've only done Leo, Nicholas Canyon, Escondido, out of those, Leo is my favorite, which isn't really in Malibu after all......

Still need to add Big Rock, Pt. Dume, Matador, etc........

ChrisM:
Thanks Scott

Favorite Malibu beach dive....hmmmmm, my favorite beach dive is Malaga, as for Malibu, I've only done Leo, Nicholas Canyon, Escondido, out of those, Leo is my favorite, which isn't really in Malibu after all......

Still need to add Big Rock, Pt. Dume, Matador, etc........
ChrisM,
We need to get you out more. There are some great dives in Malibu including Malibu Road.

Regarding moving here. Yep, big place. Closer to ocean, more cost, inland, longer drive to work and dive, lower cost. View, add big bucks.

Depending upon where you and the wife will be working will drive the train on the better location to live in. I personally like Lakewood (native from start of life to present), Cypress, Los Alamitos, Cerritos, Long Beach area. 0-8 miles from the beach depending on city for mild climate and freeway close to everywhere. Downtown Los Angeles, or Irvine are both 1 hour away at rush hour in the morning. Going home, for some odd reason often takes longer. Dive sites at Laguna Beach, Palos Verde, Redondo, Malibu and South Ventura County are 1-1.5 hours away depending on traffic. Price is reasonable at $450,000 give or take a bit and rent will run form $1,600 or so.

www.pasleyrealty.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom