I See This Has Never Been Asked Before!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy08

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:) Yeah, right!

Ok, I need a 1st and 2nd stage with my only requirements being Adjustable that allows one to fine-tune breathing. Don't want to break the bank, but don't want bottom line either.

We dive warm waters and maybe two trips/year for a total of two weeks....maybe a dozen or so dives (although This number will increase somewhat going forward).

I realize that there are some dang good divers on SB and after reading many many posts since joining, I feel very comfortable hearing out your suggestions.

It's only March and to date this year I purchased new...BC/wrist Computer/compass/FRFA class/Rescue Diver Class/Nitrox class and am signed up for AOW this June in Nassau...been a fun ride, why stop now:)

Whenever someone mentions regs for travel, my go to reg is the Aqualung Mikron. One of the lightest, best breathing regs out there. I got my third set from Leisure pro (New York) for $250 (1st and second stage).

They work great, cold or warm water and can be serviced almost anywhere. A fantastic reg.

My Apeks DS4 + TX 50 has been serving me well since 1998.
Being dry sealed it is fine in cold water. Learnt how to service them many yrs ago and I have no problem of getting the service kits in HK.
Unfortunately it is on the expensive side nowadays.

With some careful shopping you can get a new warm-water HOG D1 and a HOG Classic right now for just over $200, plus hoses and SPG (and another $100 for the secondary, though you don't mention that in your list). Add another $30 and you can get a cold water D1 instead (with the environmental seal). I don't think that there are any regs that are functionally better from a standpoint of delivering air, although you can spend more for bling, cool features, dealer support, name recognition, etc.

Or you can get a classic older reg on fleabay or craigslist, have it serviced and replace the hoses and SPG (or do it yourself if you have the skills). These will be yoke regs (not DIN), and it takes time and effort to separate the wheat from the chaff, but you can save a buck or two.

I'm still waiting to see what www.Deep6Gear.com will sell.

Me too Hopefully they will get some gear on their website and into the wild soon.

But for now I am sticking with my Hog D1s. Great deals can be had on those.

If you'd been living on the East side of the pond, I'd say get an Apeks XTX50 set with an XTX40 backup. Rock solid, adjustable tuning and venturi effect, environmentally sealed 1st stage so it's suitable for cold water, and the Apekses are strongly preferred by the tech community (which may or may not indicate that they're quite dependable).

As I have the impression that Apeks regs are comparatively more expensive than their competitors in your part of the world, it's probably not the best choice for your wallet. It's still a pretty darned good reg set, though.

Thanks guys. The Mikron looks promising, but it's not on Leisure Pros web site?

Thanks guys. The Mikron looks promising, but it's not on Leisure Pros web site?
They used to be so I suspect it's related to whatever 3rd party stock they can get their hands on - Leisure Pro is Not an authorized Aqua Lung dealer so warranty is thru them instead.

Or maybe LP is phasing out AL - they used to have more than the current two models on their site also.

Divers Supply has them on their site - starting at $495 which is MSRP so you might as well buy it from your local dealer. http://www.divers-supply.com/scuba/regulators/aqua-lung-mikron-regulator.html

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom