I See This Has Never Been Asked Before!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally like Atomic Aquatics - the entire line breathes identically, the difference is the materials used. For someone using gear less frequently they have a 2 year/300 dive factory service interval due to their seat saver orifice.

They get lighter as they get more expensive since the various more exotic materials use drive the price. A B2 is a decent mid-range model - most of the 2nd stage is Titanium for lightness in your mouth. About $720 if that's not "break the bank" to you.

Their least expensive being the Z2 at $409 - the Z means Zirconium over Brass which they claim is a step up from Chrome/Brass. A Z3 at $529 includes a 2nd stage swivel. Either is a 2HP/7LP first stage so hose routing should be easier. Having a 2nd HP is handy if you dive an AI computer and want a back-up SP gauge.

Bottom of the page here lists the weight differences in ounces. Atomic Aquatics Regulator Systems Comparison Chart And they are sweet breathers - I own two different models.

Last edited:
The deal on the Mikron looks like it's over, so here's my 2 cents.
The HOG D1's are great but HEAVY, I have several for tech/cold water diving. Same for the Apeks DS4 or DST.

Since you are traveling, using a couple times a year and want a good reg for a good price, have a look at the Aqualung Titans ($360 from northeastscubasupply), they now have a first stage like the Mikrons so light and a great performer for a good price.

Or, the HOG D3 with zenith second stage, good breather, kinda light but great price.
D3 DIN/Zenith Reversible Regulator Set

There are several others like Atomics and scuba pro but their cost is usually a bit higher than other comparable regs.

I also have the AquaLung Mikron. It was a part of my first gear purchased in 2010, which was with the intent of traveling light. Although I have used in water temps at 70 degrees, 99% of my diving is in the warmer caribbean waters. My dive schedule was like yours only I have now been able to extend my trips to 2 weeks at a time - retirement is great!

It's still working great.

Mikron $331.00 on this site? Wonder if this includes the Octopus as well? Showing two reg's but both black?

Aqua Lung Mikron

Guess i'll go with a "yoke" fitting.

Last edited:
Check the warranty coverage on that one - Divestock is in the UK. Chances are good there's no applicable U.S. warranty (blame Aqualung) so you'll be paying cash for parts/service. Aqualung parts aren't cheap either - and virtually un-obtainable except thru their dealer network. I believe I've seen the kit for $40 retail once on eBay - it's the same one used in the Titan afaik.

Add up a few of those plus shipping from the UK and maybe buying the Micron here makes more sense since except thru LeisurePro you will get the mfr's warranty.

At least it appears that when you select Divestock's U.S site (drop down at the bottom) - it's still an option at that price. Some other brands won't show at all on Euro websites when they see you're in the U.S. - based on their marketing agreements with the mfr.

No octo is included, what you see is what you get. They're showing the two versions - blue or pink in that photo (took me a second also...lol) And the same in the other photo below - those are the DIN blue/pink options.

Buy an Apeks Egress - it's small, universal and since Aqualung distributes Apeks in the U.S. - serviceable at an Aqualung dealer also. Don't buy the Aqualung ABS - several people here have told me they breathe hard - the last thing you want in an emergency...or save $25 and buy a Calypso octo. It's nice to have all the same brand for service - you only have to find one dealer.

Last edited:
LOL! Your on your own:) I'll be supporting locally as well if this does not include the OCTY:)

I'll ask the question of why do you want/need it to be adjustable? There are a lot of great options out there if you remove that, however I'll throw the other question of does it have to be new? That said the Hog D1 combo right now is damn near impossible to beat at $200...

Yoke for most of the world including almost all of the Caribbean. Some shops there are ordering tanks with convertable valves recently - you remove the adapter to dive DIN but I haven't seen a lot yet.

99% of what you'll see in rental fleets is Yoke - unless you're in Cave Country, FL where the opposite is true. AL also sells a DIN to Yoke adapter if you want to go that route but it defeats the purpose of buying the Micron for small/light reasons. Actually others do also so no reason to pay the AL "tax".

Back
Top Bottom