I See This Has Never Been Asked Before!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At $149.00 you can stop drooling? Buy them! The 1st stage goes for $239.00 all on its own and included in the deal!

Yeah well. It's great if all you want's a 1st+2nd. I'll be needing a complete set so $150 + $99 octo + $80 or so gauge = $330 + p&h. PMS has a complete Cressi mc9/XSc set for $303 - 10% Xmas sale + free shipping. The 212 has a knob on the side which I suspect if you tune it once, you shouldn't need to touch it ever again, so... what is it that makes it worth the extra bucks?

yeah I wouldn't go to cressi either....

Yeah, that's what I thought you'd say :wink:
Thanks

Yeah well. It's great if all you want's a 1st+2nd. I'll be needing a complete set so $150 + $99 octo + $80 or so gauge = $330 + p&h. PMS has a complete Cressi mc9/XSc set for $303 - 10% Xmas sale + free shipping. The 212 has a knob on the side which I suspect if you tune it once, you shouldn't need to touch it ever again, so... what is it that makes it worth the extra bucks?

Yeah, that's what I thought you'd say :wink:
Thanks

S&H was $2.99:)

I saw the 212 alone with no hoses for $95.00...do a search. I like to option to fine tune my breathing, but to some, another moving part is just more of a servicing issue down the road. Getting a $595.00 1st and 2nd stage for $149.00 was very appealing to me and met my needs. May not meet yours though?

you get a sealed diaphragm which is nice for cleaning and what not, though not a huge deal breaker
easier to find service depending on where you are
the adjustable second stage is nice, though if it is tuned properly and balanced it doesn't really matter. Many will turn their secondary all the way down and open it up when you are air sharing.

Frankly at $300 if it is a matching second stage, it's a good deal and I'd probably jump on it if we are staying in the OP's original thought of diving infrequently and in warm water

you get a sealed diaphragm which is nice for cleaning and what not, though not a huge deal breaker
easier to find service depending on where you are
the adjustable second stage is nice, though if it is tuned properly and balanced it doesn't really matter. Many will turn their secondary all the way down and open it up when you are air sharing.

Frankly at $300 if it is a matching second stage, it's a good deal and I'd probably jump on it if we are staying in the OP's original thought of diving infrequently and in warm water

Actually, the sealed version is available for $60 extra -- but given the discount it still comes very close, and yes, it's 2 of the same 2nds with different colour covers. Unseale-able(?) mc5 w/ fewer ports set is $100 less. Point being, $149 for DC3/212 is unusual, but if you price out the entire kit and look around, it's not that extraordinary.

Decisions, decisions...

Actually, the sealed version is available for $60 extra -- but given the discount it still comes very close, and yes, it's 2 of the same 2nds with different colour covers. Unseale-able(?) mc5 w/ fewer ports set is $100 less. Point being, $149 for DC3/212 is unusual, but if you price out the entire kit and look around, it's not that extraordinary.

Decisions, decisions...
Lol! In your first post you mention getting wood for the Hollis set......:).......now, your talking yourself out of it. Get whatever makes you happy in the end as long as it takes you into the water.

Lol! In your first post you mention getting wood for the Hollis set......:)

Oh, it is a very nice price, no argument there. But in terms of service and parts availability, I've seen about zero Hollis regs in Caribbean rental shops and more than one Cressi. Which IIRC mathematically makes Cressi infinitely more common and therefore easier to get fixed on vacation if necessary. :wink:

Oh, it is a very nice price, no argument there. But in terms of service and parts availability, I've seen about zero Hollis regs in Caribbean rental shops and more than one Cressi. Which IIRC mathematically makes Cressi infinitely more common and therefore easier to get fixed on vacation if necessary. :wink:
Then you rent in the very unlikely event of a failure...in 40 years of diving, I've never experienced a failure nor seen one on a dive trip? Guess I'm one lucky guy:)

Dive Addicts upped the price on the Hollis to $200.00 :)

When I tried to checkout yesterday on their website, the price defaulted to $200.00 although the site said $149.00. So I called and the lady seemed surprised about the $149.00 price but said she'll sell it to me for this price....I said I'll take two:)

Think I'll go with the Mikron 2nd stage as my Octo......best of both worlds and'll switch off using both as my primary.

why buy an extra secondary? What does it gain you vs using the Hollis second stages and just alternating between them? Why mix brands on regulators and complicate service? Especially with two brands that you don't have parts accessible to end users?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom