I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that's crazy! They look like perfect bore-holes through the tooth. Never seen that before.

When I first picked it up I thought I might be holding a pair of primitive brass-knuckles (shark tooth knuckles) since the partial holes lined up perfect on my fingers.

that's definitely a very mangled piece of meg tooth.

Cant tell by the picture. I going to take a wild guess and say Dolphin. Its hard to see in my picture. Thanks for sharing that....

Cant tell by the picture. I going to take a wild guess and say Dolphin. Its hard to see in my picture. Thanks for sharing that....

Thanks, I was thinking that was a good possibility. It's pretty dense so it could be a fossile but I'm not so sure. I was also thinking gator or crock was a possibility.

So how do you think that meg tooth got two nice round symmetrical chunks taken out if it?

Thanks again for the response.

That meg tooth is weird. Those holes are so perfectly round it seems like it would be almost impossible to be coincidence. Maybe it was some sort of brass knuckle, maybe an indian fight club? :eyebrow: That is so strange. So is the white tooth. There are some weird finds lately my friends.

OK, just so you don't get too bored, here's one we found walking the beach one day some time ago. It's solid white so I guess it's not a fossil but I still wonder what mouth it occupied at one time. Thanks.

Yup - whale tooth - this one has quite a bit of the enamel left - still a fossil. Nice find :)

Yes several shark teeth were found last weekend as well with large bore hole in them. It is quite common to find them. Most all of the fossils on the peace river are found with some sort of borrow hole in them. Clams burrow and other forms of sea life will do this. Clams are more the common culprit. Thanks for sharing that with us. What a great conversation piece.

Venice Beach Fossils

Yesterday my family and I decided to make the short drive down to Venice beach to look for some fossils/teeth/etc. Surprisingly we found what I thought was a lot of teeth and other items of interest. This is so addicting; I can see myself spending a lot of time around FL. looking for fossils. I didn't bring my dive gear as this was day six of our family 'stay-cation' and promised my kids I'd spend 100% of my time with them. All of these were found within 3' or less snorkeling or just plain sitting and sifting. Everyone had such a good time and cannot wait to go back. I plan on taking my boat down to look for a meg tooth. I'd love to find one or two of those guys.

Here are all the teeth we found
July-August 2009 121.JPG
This is all of the misc stuff we found. I think the claw looking thing is a whale tooth, and the long one may be a whale rib? Not sure what everything else is but it looked cool.
July-August 2009 122.JPG
Here is a close up of the what we think is a whale tooth. If it is what kind of whale?
July-August 2009 136.JPG
These are our favorite teeth. There's one missing already; it's on my son's necklace. We researched it and it appears to be a dusky shark tooth. It's the largest one we found. If we can get help identifying these I appreciate it very much.

July-August 2009 143.JPG

Thanks everyone,

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom