I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the first is a horse tooth and the shark tooth looks like its a lower mako, but its hard to tell.

From the shape and serrations I think they are Snaggle tooth Shark teeth fragments but just wanted to get confirmation...the largest fragment is about 1 inch long

Attachments

• snaggle_tooth1024.jpg
    snaggle_tooth1024.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Finally got the chance to dive Venice to fossil hunt and we found some cool stuff. Some of the items I can identify but there is a tooth of some sort and shark tooth that I'm not sure of. I appreciate any help that's given.

These are the largest teeth I found
View attachment 64157
I believe this is a tooth but not sure from what
View attachment 64158
These are cool; larger then what we found on the beach
View attachment 64159

View attachment 64160
Heartbreak! This was exposed with the broken side down...I'm still excited to have my first meg tooth even if it's a partial :D
View attachment 64161
What type of shark did this come from? It's smooth-no serrations and much thicker
View attachment 64162
Here's another view
View attachment 64163

Thanks everyone.:)

I want to say that last one is a HUGE lower hemi. Fossil-babe will have to weigh in on that. If it is, it's the biggest I have ever seen. It could be a hubbell meg tooth as well - but to me it looks like a lower hemi......I have been wrong before and will be again..... :wink:

Horse tooth and megalodons bottom one is a tiger, 2nd picture is the same horse tooth,3rd picture are top row sand tigers, bottom row (4th picture as well) lemons,dusky,grays,.5th picture a big heart breaker. 6th & 7th picture is a mako. Tanks for sharing your pictures and your finds. Great job!!!!

From the shape and serrations I think they are Snaggle tooth Shark teeth fragments but just wanted to get confirmation...the largest fragment is about 1 inch long
Mike hello, Yes those are all snaggletooth (Hemipristis serra) I had to look at it very hard because it at first one. It threw me for a minute, from the picture.
The center tooth of a tiger shark looks very similar to the first tooth, after I opened your picture I did see it was a snaggle tooth. Snaggle teeth have serrations that go all the way down the side of the tooth and the tigers do not. Thanks for sharing them with us and letting us learn from it as well.......

It is really odd that all of the ones I found were broken. Is this the norm?

Just out of curiosity how would you rate the relative rareness of the various species (1 being common and 10 rarest)?:
From what I have found

Hammerhead 9 (2 small ones out of 300 or so teeth)
Snaggle tooth 8 (3 out of the 300)
Sand Tiger 3 (TNTC)
Tiger 5 (maybe 10-15)
Bull 2 (TNTC)
Lemon 1 (TNTC)
Great White 9 (1 out 300)
Megelodon 8 (1 full 2 partial out of 300
Cow 10 (0 out of 300)
Dusky 10 (0 out of 300)

Of course I may have mis-id'ed some.

First of all what area are we talking? I can tell you that Great whites and cow shark teeth are more common in your area than they are here. Finding these shark teeth in the gulf is something makes my heart race. :dropmouth: They have been found ,and you might be able to count them on both hands. I will say it took me ten years to find 10 great whites,but in the peace river.. As for Cow shark teeth I found 4. One land site last winter I found 10 Great whites. It really depends on the locality.... Hope this helps ~~~fossilbabe~~~

Whats really awesome is pulling shark teeth and stegosaurus ribs from the same site, then finding a T-rex femur nearby!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom