I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No :rofl3:. True story. Hellcreek formation, S Dakota.
Oh ok, I thought you were talking about my 7' leg bone I have in my house. Most people say its a dino bone but its not. Found with shark teeth as well,so just thought you talking about me. Its all good. Gotta love the Hellcreek formation. There is nothing like it. Lot as it can be and if you find a dino bone half the fun is digging it then getting the darn thing back to your truck... Its a lot of hiking and climbing.....~~~fossilbabe~~~

Hi all,
I did my first dive for shark teeth this last weekend and I think I am hooked. I was at Alhambra and found a few teeth, lots of fun. I did find a couple of items I was hoping someone could help me ID
I am new to this but I hope to learn more, it just seems so interesting.
I have no idea about item to left?
Is top item a bone? from?
Teeth to right was the best of lot for me.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Attachments

• DSC01315.jpg
    DSC01315.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC01314.jpg
    DSC01314.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 75
The first three pictures are a Hemipristis serra (snaggletooth shark) tooth, w/ part of the tooth root broken off. I'm not sure about the last picture, maybe fossilbabe can ID it.

The Sh@rk W@tcher is correct, last picture can tell. Little blurred... If you can send me a better picture I can help. Thanks fossilbabe

ok that is what I thought it was. This is a turtle fighting spur, or mating spur. The turtle had two like we have thumbs and it used them to hurt other turtles while fighting or at time is used to climb on its mate back for mating. Great find and one of my favorites. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or drop me a pm. Happy collecting and make is a safe one. Fossilbabe

Hey some of my friends from the Pleistocene

Yeah some of those are Mammoth plates, I swear I heard someone say camel toes, some horse teeth, camel, and bison.... I aint seen a turtle yet and I have hundreds of them. LOL

Oh well glad I found this nice lil area. Ill add yall some toothies and such Ive picked up. Lots of Fossils in Florida. Plus we can even go back to the Eocene age and pic up some teeth too. So from 55 million years to present day. Just be sure when you find those gator teeth you take care of them, they will fall apart, Ill see if I can post the simple Elmers glue preparation of some bones.

Also when you are looking for teeth make sure the Gator teeth arent WHITE! LOL No run ins yet but Im sure I have been watched!

Best find.... 3 1/8" Auriculatis of all places the Suwannee! Went down the anchor to make sure it was gonna hold and turned and in a pile of sand 2 feet square it was on top with nothing around, I was like... is it.... is it.... seen the cusps and said blub blub blub blub and back up the anchor line and handed to the slowpokes on the boat! Best 45 second dive ever!

Any of you finding Mammoth or Mastadon remains, and your not in heavy current, be patient and fan around the other teeth or especially if its littered with bones field look close. All TUSK material is checkered if you look at it in a cross section, then you know its ivory. I like this stuff glad I found it!

Steve

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom