I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robin nose,tilly bone. Here how they got there name and who discovered them. Of coarse it was discovered by another fossilbabe!!!
Pony Express 2.4

yeah, if you would of told me it was a fossilized horse brain, I Would have thought you were pulling my fin...... but after reading that,... hmmmmm..... makes me itch my brain......... I do recall learning about "Tilly's plight" in school..... But don't remember much other than the name..... Thanks again Fossilbabe!!!! :wink:

Hello fossil crew,

I don't know anything about fossils and this is probably a pretty obvious ID. These photos were taken on an outcropping bit of fossil reef at a public beach on Marathon Key, FL just above the high tide line. The segmented critters are about 2" in length. Any idea what they are?

Attachments

• DSCN0377.jpg
    DSCN0377.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN0376.jpg
    DSCN0376.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0370.jpg
    DSCN0370.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 98
Mike, I was thinking maybe isopods. I don't think the FL Keys carbonates go quite back to the Permian.

FWIW, I've seen those critters before (can't recall exactly where) and they did look like fossils but as near as I could tell they were still alive.

Edited to add:Now I remember it was in the Abacos.

Sorry they are not a fossil. They have a hard shell but a soft underbelly. They are a cool find. I dont know what they are called but they are still alive.

Ooh...living fossils!

Thanks Fossilbabe, I'll see if they're in Humanns book or if any of the marine bio people here can ID them.

This thread interesting to read through, your enthusiasm is a delight.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom