I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fossil1.jpg

fossil2.jpg

I'm wondering what the small vertabrae might be from and if the other item is a whale ear bone or maybe a nice rock.

Got a couple rocks?:wink:

10255942.jpg

77611124.jpg

79645583.jpg

32137611.jpg

89505908.jpg
Ok here we go ;-)
A-F Manatee rib bones
G- is whale ear bone (parts)
H- Deer antler (skull side)
K- part of a whale rib bone
I,J,L need more pictures or stop by the house with them.
so I can see them better.
thanks Debra

Whale ear bone and the vert looks to be a small whale. Not quite sure from the angle.

I find it kinda weird that a whale ear bone looks sorta like a human ear. As I recall our ear bones don't look anything like an ear. Wasn't it hammer, anvil and stirrup or something like that? I think I'll try to find a picture of how it would fit into the whale one of these days.

Thanks for your help. You are a great asset to this board.

gator.jpg

unknownj.jpg

These fossils were burried in hard mud/ rock under the sand. The only reason I spotted them is because the middle 2 were sitcking up out of the sand a little. As I was uncovering them it just kept going It was like 3 or 4 feet long with all little ones stuck in rock and the 2 big ones on each end...these were the only 4 I could get out the others were stuck (prob around 15 other smaller ones)

unknown3k.jpg

unknown1i.jpg

unknown2l.jpg

what do you guys do to make your fossils stop smelling?
Ok tell me what you have done to preserve your fossils first of all? :confused:
Here is a link that might help you start with the process :cheerleader:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/venice-fossil-divers/263092-how-clean-preserve-your-fossils.html
After you do this and clean your fossils and they still smell! I would say soak fossil in fresh water each day changing the water for a week. After a week - put your fossil on a shelf in a shaded area,(I use my garage) check to see if they have a sandy like texture on them. If they do it is salt reaping from the fossil. Put it back in the the fresh water and start again. Some times it can take a few months but well worth it in the long run. Salt water will make fossils crack and break. This is normally just done to mammal bones and such (whale bones,mammoth teeth) like the bones you are finding. :wink: I have never had to do this to shark teeth! Please feel free to let me know if this helps and if you have any more problems let me know. I'm always here to help. ( love to help) :D

Ok tell me what you have done to preserve your fossils first of all? :confused:
Here is a link that might help you start with the process :cheerleader:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/venice-fossil-divers/263092-how-clean-preserve-your-fossils.html
After you do this and clean your fossils and they still smell! I would say soak fossil in fresh water each day changing the water for a week. After a week - put your fossil on a shelf in a shaded area,(I use my garage) check to see if they have a sandy like texture on them. If they do it is salt reaping from the fossil. Put it back in the the fresh water and start again. Some times it can take a few months but well worth it in the long run. Salt water will make fossils crack and break. This is normally just done to mammal bones and such (whale bones,mammoth teeth) like the bones you are finding. :wink: I have never had to do this to shark teeth! Please feel free to let me know if this helps and if you have any more problems let me know. I'm always here to help. ( love to help) :D

Thanks! and yea i read that, that what I do...soak it in and take it out every hour and use a tooth brush and a dental pick and when there is alot i leave it in there for 3 hours but my mixture is diluted like (1/3) or (1/4). Then I soak it in fresh water for and hour and take it out to dry. Most of the fossils dont smell after all that but ive noticed that almost all the whale bones do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom