I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weird.... none of mine smell after cleaning them... are u using Apple cider vinegar? I usually leave mine in their for a long time.. sometimes Days... But it's very Diluted.... like 4 to 1 vinegar to water... Then It spend about the same amount of time in water... all in all could take 1-2 weeks depending on how much stuff is grown on it.. Hope my 2 cents helps...

Soak longer and dilute less . Brush and soak fossils in water, change water daily. It might take a while for the smell to go away. I know mammoth teeth taken from the Red Sea are soaked for years. It might take several weeks for you here. I have been working on a marlin bill that I found last summer and I had soaked it for 2 months. It didnt smell but it still had salt on the out side of the fossils. One thing you may have to do is put in the shade somewhere and forget about it and let nature take its coarse. :D

Can someone please identify this fossil? I forgot to put something in the photo for reference, but this fossil is 3.75" long. It was found in the Alapaha River just a few miles north of Florida (in Georgia). Found with what appear to be (from my very limited experience, and research) manatee or dugong bones.

img3128a.jpg

img3126q.jpg

You are correct. Thanks for sharing this .

I'm correct? This is from the manatee too? Do you know which bone? Sorry for the string of questions, thank you for your help with this. I have had this for a couple of years now and thought it was a tooth/tusk, but didnt think it was from the manatee (no particular reason, just lack knowledge I guess). Thanks again!

Its looks to be a rib bone not sure what part of the rib. If you had more of it (lots) we could try putting it together to figure out what part of the rib. Be safe.

31987_411145994800_740614800_3999741_6471547_n.jpg

what are these? out of about 1000 that were found this past weekend, these were the only three like this

The teeth are Wobbegong teeth (Orectolobus species). They are not a very common shark tooth fossil. :shocked2: I have only 20 or so in my collection as of right now. I love the shape of them. Most people have never seen such a shark tooth before and they are in the age of of 75 million years old just thinking off the top of my head. Very nice finds and thanks so much for sharing these. I dont think anyone has ever seen such teeth like this on Scuba board. :blinking: Wow way to go!!!!!!! These just sent shivers up my spine when I saw you posted them. Got me smiling today!!!!:

I just spent 20 minutes online trying to ID them. Good thing fossilebabe is on it! (Since I know nothing.....) And love this stuff. Thanks to everyone posting.

Cool!!

The teeth are Wobbegong teeth (Orectolobus species). They are not a very common shark tooth fossil. :shocked2: I have only 20 or so in my collection as of right now. I love the shape of them. Most people have never seen such a shark tooth before and they are in the age of of 75 million years old just thinking off the top of my head. Very nice finds and thanks so much for sharing these. I dont think anyone has ever seen such teeth like this on Scuba board. :blinking: Wow way to go!!!!!!! These just sent shivers up my spine when I saw you posted them. Got me smiling today!!!!:

Thanks Deb! Wow! I feel really good about my find now. LOL To think I just thought they were some little old teeth when I was going thru them. We always have a bet to see who finds the largest, now we're going to have to change it to who ever finds the most diffrent ones :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom