I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hummm Never thought of that margaritas on top of the meg table. Great idea!! Looking forward to diving with you as well,. Love to meet new divers and collectors. Since your new to starting in your collection. Here is a idea for you to keep a log of fossil collected and where and when. I log all my fossils and more.

Here is our Sunday trip all cleaned up. The big one turned out better than I thought it would. I post them here because of the three "horse" teeth. What is the difference between horse teeth and cammel teeth or others that look similar? Thanks.

Attachments

• August 2nd Cleaned1.jpg
    August 2nd Cleaned1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 98
  • August 2nd Cleaned2.jpg
    August 2nd Cleaned2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 96
Do they have a protocone * on the tooth? Three toe horse teeth are smaller in size. Looks like from what I can see that they are not. Still very nice teeth just dont believe they are three toed. If you want to bring them by someone for me to take peek,or a better picture of the chewing surface of the tooth. I should be able to tell you for sure.

*Protocone indent on the tooth football shaped.

Do they have a protocone * on the tooth? Three toe horse teeth are smaller in size.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean they were "three toe" horse teeth just that there were three of them in the picture. You got me curious though and I looked them up as best I could and you are correct that they are not the three toe "variety". I'm not sure I have ever found one of those. The ones I have sure look a lot like these:

Academy of Natural Sciences - Thomas Jefferson Fossil Collection - Ancient Horse Fossils

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean they were "three toe" horse teeth just that there were three of them in the picture. You got me curious though and I looked them up as best I could and you are correct that they are not the three toe "variety". I'm not sure I have ever found one of those. The ones I have sure look a lot like these:

Academy of Natural Sciences - Thomas Jefferson Fossil Collection - Ancient Horse Fossils
I'm bad,sorry, I get so many of these by email and here I tend to read them and look at the pictures and move on. I'm so glad I got your curiousity moving. This is how we all learn and please feel free to ask me any fossil questions if your need ID.

Wow this thread is getting kinda slow and not many post. (feel like I'm not need any more) :rofl3: This also means you guys are doing a great job learning. Hopefully and teaching others as well.

Wow this thread is getting kinda slow and not many post. (feel like I'm not need any more) :rofl3: This also means you guys are doing a great job learning. Hopefully and teaching others as well.

OK, just so you don't get too bored, here's one we found walking the beach one day some time ago. It's solid white so I guess it's not a fossil but I still wonder what mouth it occupied at one time. Thanks.

Attachments

• White tooth.jpg
    White tooth.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 133
Whale tooth?

Very cool, I must say, to find one not fossilized. Now you just need to find a fossil of one to display beside it!

Whos to say it's not fossilized. Fossilized bone, while black (or very dark) in the ground will sunbleach on the surface.

I found this last week while diving the Bone Yard. I am very interested in trying to determine if anyone has come across similiar shaped teeth or any idea how it could have been shaped in this fashion. I appears to be part of a Meg, but I found the circular areas of the tooth to be very interesting.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0323.jpg
    DSC_0323.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0320.jpg
    DSC_0320.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0319.jpg
    DSC_0319.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0318.jpg