I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have no idea. My collection has 29,563 shark teeth. I hope to break 30,000 this coming weekend.

Wow, that's a bunch. I didn't know I was supposed to count them. :D

About how many gallons would that be? (We have a 3 gallon fishbowl that's full of small ones mostly from the beach.)

Ok mystery solved!!!! Karl has a partial chunk of a I'm going to say it Mastodon tusk. What stump me was the shape and after having the item in hand. Saw that the tusk was crushed before it fossilized. The tusk didn't have the round shape as most tusks have. More flat and need to see it first hand. Very nice piece Karl and great conversation piece. Oh what stories the fossil tell us millions of years later . Thanks for sharing your fossils with us!!!

How common is it to find pieces of tusk while diving Venice? I'm always looking but so far no dice. Do you know if anyone has ever found a whole (or mostly whole) tusk? I see that you asked Karl for the location that he found it. Are there areas in Venice where you would be more likely to find mammal bones?

I found a partial lower jaw, but no tusk (had I known what it was when I found it I might have spent more time at the spot...the rest can't be too far away!

thegulfer:
About how many gallons would that be?

I have no idea. They aren't all in one container. I have thousands in a wall unit, others are in various glass containers, Megs in a candy dish, Most of the others are in vases or bottles.

I keep mine the same way. I had one jar that I had over 25 thousand in. Yes I counted each and every one of them. They were not from venice but diving in the river. I think about it all the time that I picked up each and everyone of thoses as well. I think I need to find a life huh. The glass table on my profile has over 350 + posterior juvenile megalodon's displayed. Just always thinking of new ways to display my shark teeth. I want people to be in awe when they come by view the fossils,on the other note I want people to know a lady lives here!!!!!!

Although I don't have a fraction of your finds I do have a den with shadow boxes full of nice teeth and four shelves on the wall displaying my biggest finds. I always think people who come over will be as interested in them as I am but I have come to realize that I have a sickness that most people don't share beyond a passive curiousity. I've always been into fossils even as a kid so I just don't understand how other people aren't. Then again, I don't understand why anyone would want to golf more than once a month so to each thier own. More teeth for me!

Although I don't have a fraction of your finds I do have a den with shadow boxes full of nice teeth and four shelves on the wall displaying my biggest finds. I always think people who come over will be as interested in them as I am but I have come to realize that I have a sickness that most people don't share beyond a passive curiousity. I've always been into fossils even as a kid so I just don't understand how other people aren't. Then again, I don't understand why anyone would want to golf more than once a month so to each thier own. More teeth for me!
Excuse me!!!!!! :no: More teeth for me! The word is US!!!!!!!!! :eyebrow:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom