Hydro Atlantic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please share this math with the rest of us, along with your dive plan so we can fully understand your intent here. This will allow us to give you much more informed feedback.

Well it appears I was mistaken, in that they are 1.7 and 3 cubic feet and not 3 and 6.

A 3 cubic ft tank couldn't get me to 70', i'd eat it in the first minute.

Anyways, heres the math as promised:
wp 2640
ap 3000
psi used 1000
cft 170
acft 193.1818182
time 20
cft/psi 0.064393939
cft/min 3.21969697
depth 100
ATA 4.03030303
SAC 0.79887218
arate/min 30
dive plan depth 150
first stop 70
distance 80
total time 2.666666667
average dascent ata 4.333333333
sac @ avg 3.461779449

Wormil. perhaps you should take one of these also... just in case....

:thumb:

441891535v5_480x480_Front.jpg

Pretty sure that was obvious.:shakehead:

Obvious? Been a long time since you were a noob, OS . . . There are some out there that would believe anything you fed them.

Obvious? Been a long time since you were a noob, OS . . . There are some out there that would believe anything you fed them.

Which is exactly why we should thin the herd periodically.....chlorinate the gene pool.....you know what I mean.

Assuming that the intention was to provoke a serious discussion...

It is obvious that a spare air is not going to get you very far off the deck at 150 feet, especially if you have any intention of doing deep stops. You could get what you can from it and then get to 70 feet with a CESA, the whole time deploying your 50% bottle so you can start breathing it right away.

Of course, I don't recommend that as a dive plan.

I believe Wormil's serious intent was to show that the spare air has no place in technical diving, in contradiction to the statement in the video. I suspect that his point will not be discussed a whole lot because I doubt if anyone who has any understanding of decompression diving will disagree.

BTW....

I used to teach English Literature, and the concept that screws people up the most in reading is ironic tone. This is when the speaker says the opposite of what is actually intended to be understood. A good example of this is Stephen Crane's poem "War is Kind," in which the reader clearly gets the message that war is anything but kind. The most famous example is Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal," in which he offers a solution to starvation and poverty in Ireland: they should start selling their babies to be eaten by the more well-to-do. Eavan Boland's "Anorexia" is a good example, for its praise of anorexia creates the opposite effect in the reader.

The problem is that many people have trouble understanding ironic tone, and take the writer's words literally. All of the examples cited above have been famously controversial because some people thought the speaker was serious and were unable to discern the real intent.

Such is the danger of using such a literary device in a public forum like this. You are almost certain to be misunderstood. That is why people frequently use smilies when speaking ironically.

Well it appears I was mistaken, in that they are 1.7 and 3 cubic feet and not 3 and 6.

A 3 cubic ft tank couldn't get me to 70', i'd eat it in the first minute.

Anyways, heres the math as promised:
wp 2640
ap 3000
psi used 1000
cft 170
acft 193.1818182
time 20
cft/psi 0.064393939
cft/min 3.21969697
depth 100
ATA 4.03030303
SAC 0.79887218
arate/min 30
dive plan depth 150
first stop 70
distance 80
total time 2.666666667
average dascent ata 4.333333333
sac @ avg 3.461779449

You need to take into account whether this is an average SAC while doing moderate work, at rest/deco or SAC under stress/panic as part of your gas planning.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: I posted this in an attempt to be humorous. No need to request that I lighten up...how more lightened up can you get than a lime-green-haired baby troll doll posed on a happy, gayly colored and checkered, diagonal background? :rofl3:

Like this, CD?
TROLL-BANK-GR1.jpg

...how more lightened up can you get than a lime-green-haired baby troll doll posed on a happy diagonal background? :rofl3:

A blue haired troll with a striped background? Everyone knows that Hamburglar prefers stripes...

At no point of my noobness would I have fallen for this, that I can assure you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom