HUD Mask. Next best thing or snake oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Datamask. I like seeing my numbers without doing anything but a simple glance down. It is also very nice for night dives. I was quite pleased with how easy it was to see even in bright sunlight, the brightness of the display is adjustable so you can tune it down for night dives. The mask fits great. I like being able to download my dives.

If you don't want to spend $1000, or don't like hoseless AI then don't buy one. If you have the money and want to buy one, go for it, I like mine. The guy that owns the dive shop I go to had one, he let me try it on a dive. I really liked it, I bought one for myself. It's your money and you want one, buy it, Write that down.

I have a Datamask. I like seeing my numbers without doing anything but a simple glance down. It is also very nice for night dives. I was quite pleased with how easy it was to see even in bright sunlight, the brightness of the display is adjustable so you can tune it down for night dives. The mask fits great. I like being able to download my dives.

If you don't want to spend $1000, or don't like hoseless AI then don't buy one. If you have the money and want to buy one, go for it, I like mine. The guy that owns the dive shop I go to had one, he let me try it on a dive. I really liked it, I bought one for myself. It's your money and you want one, buy it, Write that down.

Ok I can dig what you're shovelin' I love hi tech as much as the next guy but still I would have at least a spg for backup. call me oldschool.

Sounds good to me oldschool.:D

Of course I think you're all crazy!!! The only people worth talking to are the crazy ones! That's actually why I joined SB, lol. Yes, I agree, less is more, but sometimes the coolness factor just sucks you in, and it's only the advice of the crazies that keeps you from wasting all your dive trip savings.

+1. I have one and love it. It makes me more situationally aware and as stated my depth is right in front of me. Came in handy when following a dive master in Roatan through the hole in the wall and he blew through 130' and went down to 145'. I could gauge my decent rate, and waved off at 130 and just watched him get smaller. Without the datamask I would have followed him outside of my limits.

I bought mine used for a $50 premium over the computer I was going to buy, but after diving it I would happily pay full price for one. If you think its a waste of money, then don't buy one.

Of course I think you're all crazy!!! The only people worth talking to are the crazy ones! That's actually why I joined SB, lol. Yes, I agree, less is more, but sometimes the coolness factor just sucks you in, and it's only the advice of the crazies that keeps you from wasting all your dive trip savings.

I don't consider it a waste, if you do then don't buy one. I like the "cool" factor, it doesn't suck me in, I was already in. Call me crazy but after all it is my money. If that is how I wish to spend it...... You can spend your anyway you like too.:D

+1. I have one and love it. It makes me more situationally aware and as stated my depth is right in front of me. Came in handy when following a dive master in Roatan through the hole in the wall and he blew through 130' and went down to 145'. I could gauge my decent rate, and waved off at 130 and just watched him get smaller. Without the datamask I would have followed him outside of my limits.

I bought mine used for a $50 premium over the computer I was going to buy, but after diving it I would happily pay full price for one. If you think its a waste of money, then don't buy one.

I had some other gear that I traded with my LDS for the computer. It worked out great for me.

I think the coolness factor is off the chart with HUD. Necessary no, but I would think just about anyone buying one knows this. Redundancy with analogue is something all of us with AI must consider regardless of HUD or not.

My feeling about HUD is that when the tech gets to the point that you can monitor your vitals AND your buddies...Then we're talkin!

since we are "going big", how about the complete "Sync" system like Ford has.....

Now you are going to die :lol:

No diver has mentioned those of us with eye problems? I can read my wrist mounted computer and SPG but trying my friends Oceanic HUD everything was so much clearer! And why not attach a bungee to save a kick off?

Back
Top Bottom