HUD Mask. Next best thing or snake oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingaddict

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
It seems like a cool concept. Simply glance down in your mask and voila! All the info without having to use your hands. I've seen two. One from Aeris and one from Oceanic. Anybody out there using one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used one, but I'm not too fond of spending $1000 bucks on something that can be kicked off my face. I'm also not a fan of hoseless air integration, or computers for that matter. As a backup, sure, why not, but I'll always have analog gauges and I'll always be checking them first. Also, with everything on your wrist and your arms infront of you, you still only have to simply glance down at all the info without having to use your hands. I think the datamasks solve a problem that never existed, and I'm not paying that kind of premium for that kind of minor convenience. Your mileage may vary.

They're the same mask. Oceanic and Aeris are both divisions of Hollis.

google this as our search engine isn't reliable on TLA's: HUD Mask site:scubaboard.com

The next best thing is several years old now also.

I've dropped two masks while diving - about $80 total...not $2000. Get a mask keeper....

If I needed a new mask and had 1,000 bucks to spend I would get a 30dollar mask and save 970.00 for for a livaboard trip in the carribean. If I needed a computer a nice wristmounted one is around $500.00 this still leaves me with $470.00 to spend on diving.

Actually these mask run 1200.00 not 2000.00 point taken though. No more dropping ur mask at that price... Ive known a few people who have bought these, 1 out of 3 still have theirs. 1 broke, 1 dissapeared, 1 sits on a shelf looking cool.... I would be more interested in a heads up display on something like an AGA or EXO full face mask.

unnecessary "bling", better spent on diving....

but then again, I use an Air-2, a console, a back-inflate BCD with bungies, use the PADI Wheel, no dsmb, no spare mask, carry a 7 cu-ft pony, and use 80 cu-ft tanks on 120' dives....

surely, with these coupled with not using an HUD/AI mask, I AM GOING TO DIE!!!!

unnecessary "bling", better spent on diving....

but then again, I use an Air-2, a console, a back-inflate BCD with bungies, use the PADI Wheel, no dsmb, no spare mask, carry a 7 cu-ft pony, and use 80 cu-ft tanks on 120' dives....

surely, with these coupled with not using an HUD/AI mask, I AM GOING TO DIE!!!!

What no split fins?

As a dive guide,I have worked with a couple of divers who had the bucks for the data mask. One ex-military guy who to had to send it back twice for computer malfunctions and the other diver is still mad because someone "borrowed" it & failed to bring it back. I understand the concept of intergrating everything for convinence & simpicity such as a tri-console,intergrated weight systems, hoseless SPG's, computers with compasses/GPS tracking. BUT I already purchased all my dive equipment ten years ago & will only replace it if I can not service it or safety is a factor.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

This post got me thinking why not make a small attachment for your regulator to hold a HUD and project it on to your Cheap-O-Depot mask ? The computer part can be wired on to air integration or something staying on the tank and a wire goes to the HUD projector. I would spend 1 grand for that but not for a mask that can be kicked off your face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom