How young to start diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 12 year old son has his first pool class today,he just turned 12 new years day, to me that seemed like an appropriate age. I signed him up for a private class so its 1 on 1 and he has time to master his skills, the instructor informed me that she wouldnt pass him if he really doesnt get it and i wouldnt want it any other way. we will see in a couple of weeks.

I read everyones comments and HAD to chime in. How old or young someone begins diving is up to them, of course if they are a minor then the responsability falls to a responsible parent to make the decision-YOU aren't one!!!! Let your wife make the decision and you go take some parenting classes and after that go back through your initial training so you can relearn why letting ANYONE breath on your octo is a bad idea. In fact I question your abilities as a diver in that you think that it was O.K. because you were only 10 ft deep! You are why I get a little nervous stepping on a dive boat with people I don't know. I hate to be so harsh but diving is a serious sport and should be taken so. Diving is relatively safe as long as you don't INTENTIONALY break rules. When you start breaking rules @#*% going to start happening that you aren't ready to handle. I'm sure I'm opening up another can of worms BUT----

I was certified at 15.5, the age at which I could obtain a regular OW cert. through PADI vs the Junior cert. I had a class of two people (that's including myself) in Grand Cayman, and an excellent instructor. I believe the small size of the group was instrumental in insuring skills learning and the like...

Now I'm 17.5, and I've dived Maui, Grand Cayman, and even spent 10 days diving in Jamaica with the Earthwatch Institute taking measurements to help a researcher from England study coral regrowth in the area after damage from hurricanes and tropical storms...

I've recently become interested in u/w photography (first gallery (maui)), and look to continue my interest in my next trip to Punta Mita, Mexico. I have friends my age that dive, and for our HS graduation, three of us and ones dad are doing a liveaboard trip to Papua New Guinea and then Australia in June.

Whenever and wherever I dive, I've very nearly always received complements on my abilities (not attempting to boast, but in the context of this thread, it's necessary to emphasize)...whether it's the fact that I have amazingly low air consumption (in Maui, I would routinely come up with 1400+PSI after an hour dive, all dives being at greater than 50ft), or that I'm extremely calm and relaxed in the water, or easy to talk to and ask questions of up on board, or the like. Nearly everyone I've had conversations with wishes they started as young as I have.

I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau on the Discovery Channel, but trying SCUBA never seemed to cross my mind. I am greatful to my parents that they encouraged me to begin exploring this new world two years ago.

~Matt Segal

I am 13 and a half and am diving. Certified with nitrox,night,nav,deep diving!!! Cool eh? Tell your kid that there is a young one like him out there and knows what it is like to be cold!!! Or maybe about 20 miles away? I would like him to send a message to me on what he thinks. Because I am his age almost and can see it at his view. So talk ta ya later!!!

Diverkid

I am 16 years old, I began my diving in my 12 years old

I'm 31 years old, started at 24.
My nephew is about to be 12 years old and he can not wait to start his dive course. Its nice to know that the pasion for diving can be contagious.

TWarnock:
What are the generally accepted thoughts on teaching children to dive ? I know a little about SSI and Scuba Rangers, but what about kids actually diving before that ?

My 5 year old has taken to an octopus rig in shallow (less than 10 feet) water. He's an accomplished swimmer, and has an incredible ability to hold his breath under water (but not while diving...) My 4 year old is on his heels...

Is there a risk here that I may be unware of ? I'm not looking to take him on any extended trips, but at what age can I reasonably expect to get him into a BC with his own tank and have him dive with me ? Again - no deco dives - but shallow, short dives would be fun with him untethered <g>.

Thanks -

Todd

Todd,
My daughter turns 8 next month. Although I am PADI certified I have already enrolled her in SSI's Scuba Rangers (8-10 yr olds). However, I should point out that I looked at ALL the schools (PADI, NAUI, etc) here in the Houston area. The shop I am going through has a large, established Scuba Rangers program. The class (which a sort of club from the kids point of view) continues to meet twice a month all year long to practice in the pool. Parents are welcome to dive with the kids in the pool which is suprisingly fun. Upon the instructors approval the kids are allowed to go on open water (lake) dives but only with an instructor as a buddy. Depth is strictly limited to 15 feet. I think the main thing to do is to find a school that specializes in young divers and has an established program. Additionally, I am taking the rescue class for my own peace of mind. Just my two cents. By the way where in the US are you?

I'm 18 now, started diving when i was 16. I don't think that age really is a good deteriminer of when it's safe to start diving. I know some 30 year-old that i would never feel comfortable diving with, i also know some teens (13, 14, 15 year olds) that i would dive with any day. It all goes to the individuals maturity and responsibility.
Also, is a child (which is basically what we're talking about) going to stay clam in an emergency. If their buddy needs help, can they reasonably be expected to provide it? I'm sure some can, but the majority can't. No one should dive if they don't fully understand the risks involved. Or the physics/physiology. I don't know that as a 10 or 12 year old i would have. I think these are very important things for a parent or anyone wanting to learn to dive to consider first.

Just my $.02

diverkid:
I am 13 and a half and am diving. Certified with nitrox,night,nav,deep diving!!

Diverkid

How did you get those cert.s only being 13? I know with PADI you have to be 15 to take those specialty courses.

We read all of this thread with great interest, as our 14 yr. old is starting PADI lessons this coming weekend. Clearly, there isn't "one right answer." There certainly are concerns about the unknown physical effects of diving on developing bones, as well as the emotional maturity of kids (and some adults) to handle emergency situations. As others have pointed out, there are risks in much of what our youngsters do, including riding bicycles and driving automobiles. (We're already telling our son that driving cars isn't a "right" one automatically gets when you turn 16, it's a priviledge that has to be "earned" by showing good judgement and responsibility, because it's an activity that can harm himself and others. In a way, so is scuba diving.)
To us, a major positive about junior diving is that we can do more together as a family. In this day and age, teens generally prefer "couch potato" video games and peer interactions, but as parents, we think family times are important, too. We feel that it is safer for our child to be diving with us, following strict depth limits, than off on his own (on land or in the water) being exposed to who-knows-what. Ultimately, we know that we can't control everything, but we hope that by setting good examples of thoughtful behavior, we can teach our children well.
We've been certified since the early '80's, and that was before much "proportioned" equipment was available for smaller divers. (As a 5'4", 110# female, I am very aware of the potential for injury while carrying the heavy equipment. Our son is roughly the same size, so we think he is capable of managing now, although it will still be work.) We have gone on a few Caribbean vacations where the hotels offered resort courses, but two years ago was the first time our son said HE wanted to try diving. We aren't pushing him, although we acknowledge that if he'd never seen us dive, he probably wouldn't be as interested in the sport.
We've explained that there's far more involved than just jumping in the water with a tank on his back, and how important it is to understand the science and some of the risks behind diving. Very young children can't possibly grasp that, they only see the "fun."
As tempting as it would be to let our child get certified in warm water, without all of the cumbersome wetsuit gear, we want to be sure that he can handle some less-than-ideal conditions. We also realize that he's more apt to pay attention when class work is being done locally, versus in a nice resort area where "kids wish they were outside doing something else." Nobody wants to "give up" their vacation days to be in "school."
We've let our son breathe off our octopus in the local pool, and he's practiced being able to clear a flooded mask,etc. He's read the PADI coursebook, and has a strong understanding of science and math, so even the repetitive dive tables seem easy for him to deal with. We suspect he's going to be bored in the actual class, but if he passes, then we will look forward to our next family trip with even more enthusiasm. As parents, though, we're prepared to set cautious limits for his scuba explorations. If he doesn't pass, that's okay, too, because HE has to be ready to take on the responsibilities for himself first, before he can be a dive buddy for anyone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom