How you don't feel cold before/after diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Joewr,

Then I suppose mentioning the Train Station Resturant in Bandon is out. After Halibut fishing we would go in there and tell the waitress to order 2 of everything. She'd look us over and say, "lemme guess, you were out fishing"

We'd eat enough food for 5 people! Then when that was over we'd walk over to the Bandon Cheese factory and sample the Tilamook Cheddar, and get a bag or two of Cheese Curds (or turds depending on the pronunciation) and if we were still hungry one of those big Umqua Ice Cream cones...

Dang that was the good life!!!

Syruss! And yes to all of the above! We could never drive by the cheese factory without stopping in. We can get Tillamook down here in California, but it just isn't quite the same!

In my former life I was a golfer...18 handicap--just could not pare it down lower...and we would go up to Gold Beach and play on what must be one of the most demanding "little" courses on the West Coast: narrow fairways, tiny greens, stream wandering through the course in strategic spots and all sorts of trees (I guess I don't have say that about an Oregon course, huh?).

After a good(?) round we would head to the bridge over the Rogue River and eat at a restaurant...the Rod 'n' Reel, I think it was called...and have their clam chowder--YUM!
And Razor Clams...

One final memory...I promise Butch. Sometimes we used to drive up to Port Orford and stop by a lumber mill to buy some Port Orford Cedar. It is a splendid white wood with the most aromatic fragrance. It is fairly expensive, but is sometimes used in maritime appications because the oil that causes the fragrance makes the wood resistant to dry rot. I still love that aroma!

That coast is a national treasure...you guys who have never been there, should try it someday. For cold water divers there is even scuba at Port Orford!

Joewr...This space is temporarily off the market while I adjust its nostalgia index...

I don't think there is much else to say on this post unless you all want joewr and I to go through every place you can stop between the Hiouchi Truck stop and Pendleton where the cool pendletoon wool items are made.

I am sure between us we could make a pretty good road trip for anyone to follow. We could call it "101 places to stop on the 101 highway in Oregon" by Syruss & Joewr

It'd take you 3 months of weekends to hit all the highlights....

And that is not even mentioning the drive up over the pass from Gold Beach to Galice following the Rogue River. What a drive that is....

Syruss,

Hiouchi (pronounced, high oo chi), I had forgotten about Hiouchi! What a picturesque small town! Remember the some of the houses there that were built of native river rock? Probably quarried from the Smith...

And the Rogue River: let's take 'em up the Rogue on a jet boat! Watch out, Syruss! It gets kinda wet if you lean over the side! I told you so! Do you remember that the ones that go out of Gold Beach still carry the US Mail?

And, finally, let's take 'em for a walk along the beach at Harris State Park...at sunset when there is a slack tide and the water shimmers on the sand, reflecting the blue and orange tones of the sky and sun...and the gulls sweep around making plantive cries at the departing sun...and the evening breeze carries just a hint of smoke from campfires...and you are immersed in Nature's Wonders...

Joewr...Syruss and Joewr's 101 Best Stops Along Highway 101 in Oregon--I like it!

Gotta love 4000 horsepower strapped the the back end of a 42 foot aluminum sled that will seat 40 people and has only an 8" draft.

Funny you should mention that. My wife found a roll of film when she was getting the camera for our trip and we took the film in and had it developed. It was when my Mom visited in May of 1999. And guess where the pictures are taken, along the jetboat trip going up from Gold Coast. The pictures turned out great!

I will have to scan some and send them to ya!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom