How to deal with a power inflator that is stuck open at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought I'd share a story. During my rescue class we were practicing finding a unresponsive dive at depth when my inflator became stuck as I was trying to lift the vic up. Was quite shocked since my rig is pretty new (just a year old and under 30 dives). Basically before I noticed it was stuck I noticed I was uncontrollable rising to the surface. Not sure if the next bit was the best thing to do but it happens so fast and seems like time slows down. Before I knew it I had pitched myself down and was kicking to slow my accent. Then after a second or two then realized that the inflator was stuck I squeezed it quickly to see if it would free it's self (luckily it did). Then reached for the dump valve, it seemed like forever to get it deflated. After reading this thread I realized I should have pulled my dump first then try to stop the inflator. However I do wonder if I did pull the dump first would I have noticed the stuck inflator. But after I regained control and breath had just enough air to finish the exercise (easily lost about 1000 psi in the process between the dump and heavy breathing). Now I need to see about getting the inflator lubed up. Dive safe my friends.

if it makes you feel better, we practiced this in OW confined dives and it took me over 5 minutes and a bit of help to get it unconnected. There is no way I could get it released in an emergency.

If this is not a skill you have mastered, it is one you should practice. You should be able to disconnect it in a few seconds.

If this is not a skill you have mastered, it is one you should practice. You should be able to disconnect it in a few seconds.

As I suggested above, it really depends upon the hose. With a new hose with a well designed grip at the end, it is so easy that you wonder why we bother teaching it. With an older, dirty hose with a small, hard-to-grasp end, it can be really, really hard. I am a pretty big guy, and I am pretty strong, and there were times I could not do it with some of the gear our students used. When we got new stuff--no problem.

I find it interesting, by the way, that when you buy a dry suit, it comes with a low pressure inflator hose with a big, easy-to-grip end that can be removed easily, but most BCDs don't have those.

The inflator fitting has been the same for like 30 yrs with no change. The standard of the industry sucks and it can be dangerous. All pneumatic tools have a quick disconnect that is better and safer. it is crazy. Sea Quest tried to change to a slimline citing and they soon reverted back to the crappy standard.

Sticking connect is sometimes caused when that oring sitting inside the coupling is in a bad shape. I once had a DUI drysuit hose that was impossible to disconnect under pressure. Fortunately it started leaking air soon and I replaced the o-ring. The problem with disconnect disappeared.
So you might want to lubricate/examine/ replace yhat o ring

Its near impossible to just pull out the LP hose when its being pressurized. The trick is to grab the hose and push it *in* hard against the nipple before sliding the movable catch up with your thumb & forefinger to unlock the hose.

So holding the inflator hose in your left hand, use left index finger to depress the gas release button while pulling the LP hose out with your right.

Its near impossible to just pull out the LP hose when its being pressurized. The trick is to grab the hose and push it *in* hard against the nipple before sliding the movable catch up with your thumb & forefinger to unlock the hose.

So holding the inflator hose in your left hand, use left index finger to depress the gas release button while pulling the LP hose out with your right.

That was how they taught us to do it- but I think I lack the strength in my fingers to grip it to even push it in.

Then yours needs service too.

When functioning properly, the quick disconnect is self-ejecting. The collar should slide back easily and sliding it back should cause it to pop off.

flots.

Agree totally, if it doesn't then there is something wrong

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom