How to deal with a power inflator that is stuck open at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could replace your hose with a plain regulator hose with one of these on the end. should make it easier to detach and or re attach under pressure. its the same idea as the hose hat.

Sometimes the inflator button stuck not because of bad maintenance but because of bad inflator. Like everything else man made, there's a lemon that would make it through the quality control process now and then.

If unable to manually disconnect the LP hose from the power inflator, then there is an inline check valve that can be installed between the LP hose and the power inflator itself.

I know that some people poo-poo this check valve setup, but it's another solution to the problem.

I find it interesting, by the way, that when you buy a dry suit, it comes with a low pressure inflator hose with a big, easy-to-grip end that can be removed easily, but most BCDs don't have those.

People in drysuits are more prone to wearing heavy gloves

I didn't read the whole thread, I guess someone mentioned the little "top hat" fittings already

if it makes you feel better, we practiced this in OW confined dives and it took me over 5 minutes and a bit of help to get it unconnected. There is no way I could get it released in an emergency.
You really do need to practice this. I borrowed a wing from somebody last summer to try and the inflator stuck. This is a necessary skill for a reason. Uncontrolled ascents are not a good thing.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 09:40 PM ----------

I have a very old BC that was having issues with a stuck inflator hose. I was actually having more trouble connecting the hose than anything else. A tiny bit of silicone lubricant solved the problem. It had gotten a bit of rust/corrosion on the little balls and connector underneath the metal fitting.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 09:49 PM ----------

Sometimes the inflator button stuck not because of bad maintenance but because of bad inflator. Like everything else man made, there's a lemon that would make it through the quality control process now and then.

If unable to manually disconnect the LP hose from the power inflator, then there is an inline check valve that can be installed between the LP hose and the power inflator itself.

I know that some people poo-poo this check valve setup, but it's another solution to the problem.
Didn't Halcyon have a recall because of inflator sticking a while back?

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 09:52 PM ----------

This is another classic example of how the basic skills required in OW class are neccessary and need to be practiced regularly. Don't just pass the class and forget about it.
I think I've used almost everything I learned in OW at one time or another.

You really do need to practice this. I borrowed a wing from somebody last summer to try and the inflator stuck. This is a necessary skill for a reason. Uncontrolled ascents are not a good thing.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 09:40 PM ----------

I have a very old BC that was having issues with a stuck inflator hose. I was actually having more trouble connecting the hose than anything else. A tiny bit of silicone lubricant solved the problem. It had gotten a bit of rust/corrosion on the little balls and connector underneath the metal fitting.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 09:49 PM ----------

Didn't Halcyon have a recall because of inflator sticking a while back?

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 09:52 PM ----------

This is another classic example of how the basic skills required in OW class are neccessary and need to be practiced regularly. Don't just pass the class and forget about it.
I think I've used almost everything I learned in OW at one time or another.

I agree totally, practice, practice, practice. You are not too experienced to still practice. I have done a significant number of dives and still practice all basic skills, particularly when on a dive that's less than mind blowing, I just bum along and take out reg and swap, pull off mask and replace, pop off hose etc and get my wife to do the same. never assume you are too experienced or too professional to need practice. Arrogance breeds contempt, and contempt kills.

The day something goes wrong, you will have no warning, and the practice you do will kick in (oh you didn't do any practice since your OW ???????? well where does that put you?)

Gren mentioned this first in the thread. His suggestion is what I teach:

Actions-on LPI run-away inflation:

1) Immediately raise the LPI and depress the exhaust button. This permits all of the gas to escape directly and won't fill the BCD. Run-away buoyancy issue solved.

2) Disconnect the LPI. It is not now as time critical.

Okay, so this problem is SOLVED. The conclusion? Replace the power inflator. Some defect in the surface of the power inflator connector made it not fit the hose connector just right. When I replaced the power inflator it solved the quick disconnect problem at the same time. Light pressure on the top of the disconnect causes it to pop off like it was made to do that or something :wink:.

I think I'll still get one of those larger hats that were linked. None of my LDS had anything like that in stock.

It's probably not such a bad thing that this happened. I learned a few things that could potentially save my life during a real dive. Isn't that what practice in the pool is all about?

Thanks to everyone who contributed answers to my question!

Tried again today (different set of gear, though same brand, since I rent)
I cannot do it. Today, I actually could not even undo it on the surface with my tank off and the hose depressurized. The other times I've been able to do that.

The darn thing is just HARD, and my fingers are weak. :(

Back
Top Bottom