How to deal with a power inflator that is stuck open at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried again today (different set of gear, though same brand, since I rent)
I cannot do it. Today, I actually could not even undo it on the surface with my tank off and the hose depressurized. The other times I've been able to do that.

The darn thing is just HARD, and my fingers are weak.
sad.gif

Maybe it's something that happens to the nipple on the power inflator over time? If so, the rental kits you're using might have the same problem mine did. Now that I've replaced the power inflator, mine is as easy to operate as the other posters made it sound. I just pull lightly on the end of the hose and it pops right off. It is easy enough that I would say finger strength is not a factor now.

Last edited:
Tried again today (different set of gear, though same brand, since I rent)
I cannot do it. Today, I actually could not even undo it on the surface with my tank off and the hose depressurized. The other times I've been able to do that.

The darn thing is just HARD, and my fingers are weak. :(

Next time try spraying the collar of LP hose with silicone and work them before connecting. That could work. Rental gear is what it is. Those hoses should pop right off. Like I posted I dive ID's so I have 2 LP hoses one primary one secondary. The secondary ain't worth much if the primary won't come off! I change these hoses during a dive once in a while. I don't say to myself this dive I'm going to switch. I just think of it during a dive and do it. The hardest part is usually getting the secondary on because it wants to pop off. When using my dry suit there are 3 LP hoses. +1 on the hats!

Back
Top Bottom