How to deal with a power inflator that is stuck open at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see your instruction was NAUI. I don't know their standards. It is required pool instruction for PADI, SSI, SDI, IDEA--anyone who is part of the WRSTC. I would be surprised if it were not also required for NAUI.
At the same time, would we be surprised if not all standards where followed by all instructors in any given agency? :/

You could also try folding (kinking) the LP hose to slow/stop the air going thru the hose while you are removing it from the inflator.

DGE have power inflators for $14.95 .
Replace the power inflator and there should be no more problem.

I second the other comments made here. Your pull dumps can let air out a lot faster than your power inflator can let air in, buying you time to disconnect the hose. The connector is specifically designed so that you can disconnect it under pressure. If you cannot do that easily, buy a new hose. They are not very expensive.

The super light depressing of the button is not the root of the problem but it does seem to encourage
sticking when there are other problems with the inflator. The inflator hose can be tougher to get off when
pressurized especially with gloves. I have recently been working on inflating my smb with my inflator hose
and can say removing and reattaching it does take a little effort.

Boulderjohn,

It wasn't something we covered beyond a brief discussion in OW. We definitely did not do any drills of this.

Tigerman,

Happen to have a link to one for sale? I've definitely never seen anything like that at an LDS. Looks NICE!
ThIs is scary. Stuck inflator is not that unusual. The air 2 is much easier to disconnect.

one reason is that the Air2 (others?) has a larger coupling than a regular fitting so it is easier to get a hold of

Sounds like my power inflator quick disconnect may be having problems too if you guys say they should be easy to disconnect. It's only got about 10 dives on it, and I *thought* I had been diligent in caring for my gear :/

if it makes you feel better, we practiced this in OW confined dives and it took me over 5 minutes and a bit of help to get it unconnected. There is no way I could get it released in an emergency.

You can also raise the corrugated hose overhead and press the dump on it, all of the air should go up instead of into the BC.

That is exactly what I would do. Go vertical and push the deflate button. The air will just go up.The extra pressure at the bottom of the wing will help it deflate as well. It works. I've tried it.
Next,disconnect the hose. If you can't do that, turn off the tank valve to stop losing gas. At this point having either an attentive buddy, or doubles/pony would be handy !

if it makes you feel better, we practiced this in OW confined dives and it took me over 5 minutes and a bit of help to get it unconnected. There is no way I could get it released in an emergency.
i used to teach with a shop where we had this problem. IN some cases I, the instructor, could not get it off. We all complained, and they got new hoses. Suddenly it was easy as pie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom