DIR- GUE How to become a GUE instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a GUE instructor is not permanent. After all that you need to to requalify every 4 years, IIRC.
And avoid getting kicked out :p

Being a GUE instructor is not permanent. After all that you need to to requalify every 4 years, IIRC.

You have to renew annually (which has a not insignificant requirement by itself) and then re-qualify at all levels of instruction every 4 years.
As an IT I also have to request to maintain my IT status annually.

Thanks
John

May I ask what motivates the question? Pure curiosity? I have pondered the question myself. From what I have heard some instructors say, it can be a long process.
Firstly, I’m curious. Secondly, who knows what the future holds... :D

Ok, there is a process, and the fine details can be found in the Standards Document.

But here is a quick rundown.

First, You have to be qualified as a GUE Diver to an appropriate level.
Second, Everyone who wishes to become a GUE Instructor has to first become a Fundamentals, or Rec 1 Instructor (There are no cross-overs to higher levels of instructor)
Other Pre-requisites can be found in Standards.
After that, the process is:
Pay the Intern Registration Fee
Observe one complete GUE class at an appropriate level. This can be run by any GUE Instructor who has taught a minimum of 5 classes at that level
Undertake an Instructor Training Course (This can be a formal course, or can be taught in pieces along the way) run by an Instructor Trainer or Evaluator
Earn an endorsement from an IT or IE (This can be done over the course of several classes or sessions, and can have elements of remote coaching)
Earn a 2nd endorsement from an IE. This must be a different IE from the first endorsement, and should be achieved by teaching an entire class at the required level. This class will be with "real" students, who are not yet certified at that level.
Finally, there is paperwork and BOA approval.

How long it takes is a question that can't be answered. Everyone takes a different amount of time, depending on how much time and money you want to throw at it, and how skilled you are coming into the process. It's entirely possible to do it in a few months if you're appropriately motivated.

To then go up through the instructor levels, there is a very similar process. So to move from Fundamentals instructor to Tech 1 instructor, you have to basically do the entire process again, but with T1 IT/IEs.

It's actually easier to become a Fundamentals Instructor, than to progress up the levels.

HTH
John
Awesome thanks for the info.

What could or would be the general cost to become an instructor between flights, gas, food, accommodation? I know it’s a very vague question but does anyone think they’re in a position to answer it?

And @johnkendall what is the hardest part of becoming a GUE instructor? Expense?

What’s the fitness requirements like? Are they ok? How did you do find the whole GUE instructor process?

What could or would be the general cost to become an instructor between flights, gas, food, accommodation? I know it’s a very vague question but does anyone think they’re in a position to answer it?

And @johnkendall what is the hardest part of becoming a GUE instructor? Expense?

What’s the fitness requirements like? Are they ok? How did you do find the whole GUE instructor process?

I really can't answer the costs question, but you are talking several thousands of dollars. It depends massively on where you are starting from.
The hardest part of becoming an Instructor is becoming good enough to be an instructor. Many divers try, but not many succeed. You have to have the right kind of attitude, you have to be completely in tune with GUE's philosophy (it's hard to switch hats between GUE and other organisations), and you have to be an excellent educator. A lot of that you can learn, but depending on where you are starting from, will dictate how long that takes.

The fitness requirements are fine if you're appropriately fit :) For me the hardest bit is the swim, as I've never learnt how to swim "properly". The rest of the requirements are real-world anyway (walking in doubles etc)

Thanks
John

I'll wager: A lot. :eek:

There are some more details in Quest.
16.2 Becoming an Entry Level GUE Instructor: The Two Signature Process
17.4 The Economics of Remote Instructor Training

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom