How to earn a GUE Fundamentals Rec Pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
This year I am working on my skills in an effort to be a better diver. I'll be working on kicks and buoyancy. As part of that I plan on doing GUE Fundamentals in the Fall. I was wondering what does it take to earn a Rec pass and how difficult is it? Any advice or input is appreciated. Many thanks.

This is from the GUE Fundamentals course standards.
2.png

I'd suggest working on your physical fitness, ideally swimming laps.

I would strongly advise against being concerned about earning a rec (or tec) pass right out of the gate. What fundies did for me (which may not apply to you) was break bad habits (not being trim, overweighted, breaking at the waist). Just be coachable. The program is really well set and just focus on improving your skills.

If you are a masochist, record yourself doing skills and ask for feedback. There are those who will be helpful, and there are those who won't. You may want to seek out people who simply care about diving and are thus interested in your success and share the videos with them.

Good luck! Please take notes of your impressions and write a review of your experience.

Just curios..... If an experienced diver already has all of these capabilities and has the prescribed equipment... and can do the swims...etc...... and can demonstrate all of the skills and knowledge to a level that is either equal to or better than the evaluator....... can this "course" be completed and passed in a single day?

Just curios..... If an experienced diver already has all of these capabilities and has the prescribed equipment... and can do the swims...etc...... and can demonstrate all of the skills and knowledge to a level that is either equal to or better than the evaluator....... can this "course" be completed and passed in a single day?
No. It is a minimum four day course. Most are humbled at the start when they see how much improvement is needed.

This year I am working on my skills in an effort to be a better diver. I'll be working on kicks and buoyancy. As part of that I plan on doing GUE Fundamentals in the Fall. I was wondering what does it take to earn a Rec pass and how difficult is it? Any advice or input is appreciated. Many thanks.
I would start finding an instructor, location etc. ASAP. You will have a lot of preparation prior to the class with equipment, required reading etc. I wouldn't worry about how hard it is. I did it with for self improvement. I think that is the mindset one should have because Fundamentals isn't going to certify you for anything but it will make you a much better diver; pass or fail.

No. It is a minimum four day course. Most are humbled at the start when they see how much improvement is needed.
Got it.... Thanks.... Even a basic OW cert course typically can't be completed in one day....even if the student already has all of the skills and knowledge.

I was just thinking that this was more like a specialty course and if a diver can be evaluated as 100% proficient, and all the "boxes" can be checked, then it seemed like the required skills and drills I see listed above could be done in a day.

Got it.... Thanks.... Even a basic OW cert course typically can't be completed in one day....even if the student already has all of the skills and knowledge.

I was just thinking that this was more like a specialty course and if a diver can be evaluated as 100% proficient, and all the "boxes" can be checked, then it seemed like the required skills and drills I see listed above could be done in a day.
You have to evaluate the team diving skills. That isn't going to happen until the end.

You have to evaluate the team diving skills. That isn't going to happen until the end.
That makes total sense! Just because a guy or gal can kick a 65 yard field goal does not mean that he/she can also coordinate and sync with the team....

Congrats on your commitment to becoming a better diver, and good luck with the Fundamentals course. As long as you go in with an open mind and focus on learning, not passing, I think you'll have a great time. I know I learned a lot.

How hard it is to pass I think will vary a lot based on your previous experience and what gear you are familiar with. Sometimes it takes more effort to break old habits, and if you have to do the class in gear you are not familiar with it will be harder to focus on the class.

If there are any GUE divers in your area, you could see if anyone wants to do some practice dives, but remember you are taking the class to learn, not to pass. If you can't complete the required skills, you can get a provisional pass, go home and practice what you learned, and then do a check-out dive with the instructor to get a pass.

Also, if you like video instruction, and don't mind spending the cash, GUE.tv is a good resource to learn the skills properly so you can do som dry-land practice with your equipment for the Basic 5. I would also recommend reading Fundamentals of Better Diving and/or Beginning with the end in mind, to get a head start on the theory and the GUE philosophy with emphasis on team diving.

Bonus tips:
Don't rush! Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. Do everything slowly, slower than you think. Always stabilize and make sure you're neutral and comfortable before doing anything. The real test is task loading. When you're doing skills, it's not about the skills. It's about keeping control of buoyancy, trim and awareness while you're doing a task. The hardest part is lying completely still in the water, not moving, keeping position, neutral, in trim. Practice hovering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom