How to earn a GUE Fundamentals Rec Pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd suggest working on your physical fitness, ideally swimming laps.

I would strongly advise against being concerned about earning a rec (or tec) pass right out of the gate. What fundies did for me (which may not apply to you) was break bad habits (not being trim, overweighted, breaking at the waist). Just be coachable. The program is really well set and just focus on improving your skills.

If you are a masochist, record yourself doing skills and ask for feedback. There are those who will be helpful, and there are those who won't. You may want to seek out people who simply care about diving and are thus interested in your success and share the videos with them.

Good luck! Please take notes of your impressions and write a review of your experience.
I'm a new diver with 30 dives, the good news about that is that I haven't had much opportunity to develop bad habits. By diving a lot and taking the course I hope to practice correctly. The rec pass is just a goal, I'm not obsessed with earning certifications and such. I do realize it is very difficult and that it may take me a few tries to pass and I'm OK with that. I'm just looking for advice and how to best train and practice for when I dive. Thanks for your input.

I would start finding an instructor, location etc. ASAP. You will have a lot of preparation prior to the class with equipment, required reading etc. I wouldn't worry about how hard it is. I did it with for self improvement. I think that is the mindset one should have because Fundamentals isn't going to certify you for anything but it will make you a much better diver; pass or fail.
It is for self improvement and to be a better diver. I already have scheduled time with an instructor. I am merely wanting to get information so that I can best utilize my time diving and working on skills.

If you are a masochist, record yourself doing skills and ask for feedback. There are those who will be helpful, and there are those who won't. You may want to seek out people who simply care about diving and are thus interested in your success and share the videos with them.

I do not back you up here. The risk is to develop bad habits even more. It might make sense with divers who master basic skills, but even in this case, how does the OP recognize those divers?

To the OP @Tigerpaw I would say relax, enjoy your activity, and if you really want to do something, try to meet some local GUE divers that might help you get a better pass in the future and dive with them.

Don't think about the pass right now :)

This year I am working on my skills in an effort to be a better diver. I'll be working on kicks and buoyancy. As part of that I plan on doing GUE Fundamentals in the Fall. I was wondering what does it take to earn a Rec pass and how difficult is it? Any advice or input is appreciated. Many thanks.
If you can hover with your chest a few inches over a platfom without hitting your knees, do the skills you learned in open water class (without touching the platform or going up) and still have enough bandwith to be aware of what your buddy is doing, you can pretty much make it through any scuba class.
In the end of the day it's just buoyancy, trim, kicking and basic skills while staying in position without having to focus on any of those things, so you can pay attention to your surroundings.

When you go diving, make sure you swim slow and stop from time to time so you buoyancy is actually good and you're not stabilizing yourself by the forwards movement. And make sure you don't dive with too much weight... that's one of the most common mistakes newer divers make. Proper weighting is helping alot with bouyancy and trim and makes everything much easier.

THANKS!!! I will be using this on my dives, thanks again!
It is good to look at the course criteria ahead of time, but keep in mind that your Fundies instructor will teach you everything. You are not expected to show up knowing anything but the absolute basics from your OW course.

As others have said, don't be concerned with "passing." People of all skill levels take Fundies, and essentially everyone comes out of Fundies having improved from wherever they started. The goal is to improve, whether you are an absolute newbie diver, someone who has been diving many years, or even an instructor for some other agency. Oh, and part of the goal should be to have fun. As much as some people refer to Fundies as though it is some kind of boot camp, it is not--you will almost certainly have fun if you approach it with the right mindset.

People of all skill levels take Fundies, and essentially everyone comes out of Fundies having improved from wherever they started.
Allegedly.
If a cave or tx instructor actually improves form an entry level class it tells me that the instructor stinks as a diver and instructor, and not that the class is amazing.
Can you name a single skill from fundies that wouldn't be easy to do for any competent cave or trimix diver, let alone instructor? If an instructor can't easily perform the very basics of scuba diving they shoudn't be training people.

Allegedly.
If a cave or tx instructor actually improves form an entry level class it tells me that the instructor stinks as a diver and instructor, and not that the class is amazing.
Can you name a single skill from fundies that wouldn't be easy to do for any competent cave or trimix diver, let alone instructor? If an instructor can't easily perform the very basics of scuba diving they shoudn't be training people.
"Competent" is a low bar. Fundies teaches the skills that GUE believes are the "very basics," but not everyeone who finishes Fundies will end up with the same level of precision in performing them. Anyone who completes a cave class is "competent" in the relevant skills, as I would define the word, but we still see people in the caves who look like they are continuing to refine their skills. I am one of them. I could take Fundies all over again and improve something.

Also, even though a seasoned diver might find a skill "easy to do," they may not necessarily be doing the skill the way GUE likes it done. Maybe that is "improvement" or maybe just an equivalent alternative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom