DIR- GUE How to become a GUE instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EireDiver606

Contributor
Reaction score
Can a GUE instructor answer this question in detail. How long does it take? How do you go about it? An instructor trainer and evaluator (what’s the difference between the two). What has to be done to earn the right to teach even just the basic classes like fundies, doubles, Drysuit?

Also for the more advanced classes like Cave 2, or Tech 2, how long could it take and what is involved for an already great GUE instructor to earn that extra class?
I dont know any of these instructors but hopefully they’ll answer. @johnkendall @kirill egorov.

@PfcAJ @Ryan Mcshane @Ayisha @kensuf @LiteHedded @elgoog @KevinNM @ralph @mer

Would appreciate anyone’s informative input. Please discuss anything related.

Please note I am looking for detailed info, although I do not desire to become a GUE instructor.

Since you tagged several non-instructor GUE divers I am guessing it’s ok if I respond, based solely on watching friends and acquaintances go through the process over the past eight (?!) years. I will be curious to see responses from instructors.

It’s my understanding that there is an IDC* and then candidates shadow multiple instructors. Certain skills have to be signed off on during or after the IDC, and once those are passed, the candidate may shadow more before attempting to pass the practical (teaching a full class). The amount of time it will take is related to how much time instructor candidates have to dedicate... in other words, it’s going to take a lot longer for people with day jobs and limited vacation to meet all the requirements. I’ve seen people cross over to fundies instructor in less than a year and also seen people seem to take much longer.

You have to teach a certain amount at your current level before trying for the next - I know at least one person who did several evals before being able to teach cave 1 - it was years post-Fundies.

Another thing which could impact the amount of time is the instructor’s fitness level. GUE has a pretty high bar set for fitness, and getting in shape to pass the requirements could take longer than planned. I’ve known several people who started and never finished - not sure if this was part of it.

IDC instructor development course - not sure that is the terminology GUE uses but it means the class taken to become an instructor.

I’m assuming you mean me (_Ralph)

Best bet, go to GUE.com, look up Instructor Trainers and get it from them. They will know the answers you are looking for.

But in short, you can’t teach (or start) at your current status or above.

If you are a T1 or C1 diver, you can start down the instructor path to teach Fundies/Rec 3 and any of the primer courses (doubles/drysuit/etc)

A T2 diver and fundamentals/Rec 3/etc instructor can apply to teach T1

Similar with C2 diver with Fundamentals/Rec3/etc instructor can apply to teach C2

I don’t know about the documentation/scientific/photogrammetry courses ... they may have different entry requirements to be able to teach those as they posses skills that aren’t necessarily diving, or diving related, although, they involve being in the water.

Multiple instructors need to sign off of elements/teaching modules, in class lectures and in water classes.

If you aren’t close to an active instructor, it will take longer than being near an active instructor running many classes.

_R

Please note I am looking for detailed info, although I do not desire to become a GUE instructor.

May I ask what motivates the question? Pure curiosity? I have pondered the question myself. From what I have heard some instructors say, it can be a long process.

@_Ryan brought up something I had forgotten about related to the progression. You have to be a level higher than what you are to begin the process. As he mentioned (I’m just saying it a little differently), to start down the tech instructor path (Tech 1), you have to be GUE Tech 2.

That is one of the things I like the most about GUE. The instructors are typically doing dives that well-exceed the course requirements. I’ve witnessed situations (outside of GUE) where Hypoxic diver level instructors who were barely (if at all) competent diving at a Normoxic level have passed classes to become Hypoxic instructors. That won’t happen with GUE.

I didn't get your tag alert for some reason, so I was surprised to see my name. The only things that I would have said from watching Heison Chak and Jennifer Bush do their GUE instructor training, was that they needed 2 Instructor Trainers to sign off on their training; and they could apply to teach up to one level below their own highest certification, the same that the previous posters said.

Also for the more advanced classes like Cave 2, or Tech 2, how long could it take and what is involved for an already great GUE instructor to earn that extra class?
Depending on how hard they work at it - a couple of years to a long time. I know Fred Devos took quite a few years to move up to being a Cave2 instructor (6+ yrs) but I dont know the reason for that. He's always been a great instructor even before he started with GUE

GUE standards doc has a lot of the details you're looking for. Specifically, start at pg 107 in the v9 PDF - "3.3.4 Instructor Candidate Curriculum-Specific and Progression Prerequisites"

The standards probably contain 95% of whats important. Two more pieces of interest:

An old quest article with info on the process
https://www.gue.com/files/Becoming-a-GUE-Instructor.pdf

The fitness requirements to become instructor
https://www.gue.com/intern_registration?download=Fitness_Requirements_Overview.pdf

Ok, there is a process, and the fine details can be found in the Standards Document.

But here is a quick rundown.

First, You have to be qualified as a GUE Diver to an appropriate level.
Second, Everyone who wishes to become a GUE Instructor has to first become a Fundamentals, or Rec 1 Instructor (There are no cross-overs to higher levels of instructor)
Other Pre-requisites can be found in Standards.
After that, the process is:
Pay the Intern Registration Fee
Observe one complete GUE class at an appropriate level. This can be run by any GUE Instructor who has taught a minimum of 5 classes at that level
Undertake an Instructor Training Course (This can be a formal course, or can be taught in pieces along the way) run by an Instructor Trainer or Evaluator
Earn an endorsement from an IT or IE (This can be done over the course of several classes or sessions, and can have elements of remote coaching)
Earn a 2nd endorsement from an IE. This must be a different IE from the first endorsement, and should be achieved by teaching an entire class at the required level. This class will be with "real" students, who are not yet certified at that level.
Finally, there is paperwork and BOA approval.

How long it takes is a question that can't be answered. Everyone takes a different amount of time, depending on how much time and money you want to throw at it, and how skilled you are coming into the process. It's entirely possible to do it in a few months if you're appropriately motivated.

To then go up through the instructor levels, there is a very similar process. So to move from Fundamentals instructor to Tech 1 instructor, you have to basically do the entire process again, but with T1 IT/IEs.

It's actually easier to become a Fundamentals Instructor, than to progress up the levels.

HTH
John

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom