How special are we?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, "special" may not be the best word here but I hate to call divers "common."

I've recently finished the OW course and when friends ask me why I want to dive a good chunk of my answer revolves around seeing and doing things that relatively few people have seen/done and exploring the much unknown world of the deep.

During the OW course my instructor mentioned that cold water divers specifically make up a very small percentage of the world's population and that makes us somewhat of an elite group.

I'm curious to know if anyone can put a ballpark number on this. Anybody know how many people are currently active/certified by the various agencies?

Thanks!

Last edited:
There are more cold water divers than you will ever be able to buddy with. There are enough in Victoria alone to support a half-dozen dive shops. A quick google search shows more than 100 dive shops at or near Vancouver.

My experience is that people who focus on how special they are are really bad at whatever it is that they are doing. (Elitism is common among Engineers.) Don't worry about how rare or how "elite" you are; just have fun. That goes for whatever profession you pursue or hobbies you may partake in.

After all, you never know when you're going to be on your last dive.

I don't consider divers "special". I took up the sport because I love the water and wanted to explore the under water world. I didn't take up this sport/hobby just to consider myself better than someone else. I just enjoy being under water and feel like I am flying.

A significant number of cold water divers live here is SoCal. Although many of us still like a little warm water interlude from time to time.

the only person that thinks that I'm special is my wife and that varies from day to day:D and I have been known to be a legend in my own mind but everyone one I know could care less that I dive.

Alas, if you are looking to be special you’ve picked the wrong sport. If you find this hard to believe you can conduct a little experiment. Start talking diving to your non-diving friends and see how long it takes them to come up with an excuse to leave… :rofl3:

Diving in cold water is not the same like in warmer, you see a different world, cannot say which one is better, both are great.
I finished all my courses from OW to instructor, and also tech course in cold waters around Vancouver, BC and I can tell you that's the best training you can get. If you can pass the course in February, when temperature is +5 and water +8 C, visibility 1 ft, then anything after is easy.
I don't think divers are special, it's just a great group of people that like to see the underwater world and talk about it all the time (like my wife says). So enjoy diving and don't think about how special you are.

Clearly, "special" WAS the wrong word. :D

I agree with all the points presented but I have to admit, I had no idea there were SO many divers around, especially nearby (thanks themagni for making that point). Until I took the course, I had only met 1 diver in my life. Then again, I've only lived on the coast for a couple years.

The question remains though... what sort of numbers are we talking about?

Clearly, "special" WAS the wrong word. :D
LOL - I was thinking you'd take some heat for that choice of words ... but I also figured out what you were trying to say. It's a special sort of activity ... putting oneself in an environment we were never designed to be in. But for those of us who do it, it's just another form of recreation.

I agree with all the points presented but I have to admit, I had no idea there were SO many divers around, especially nearby (thanks themagni for making that point). Until I took the course, I had only met 1 diver in my life. Then again, I've only lived on the coast for a couple years.

The question remains though... what sort of numbers are we talking about?
I've never seen any real numbers, as a percentage of population or overall number of divers ... but in your area it's a fairly popular activity, for good reason ... there's fantastic diving near where you live.

VI has some of the best cold-water diving anywhere on the planet ... by all means the diving is special ... even if those of us who engage in the activity are just regular folks ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom