Advice (1 diver, 1 non-diver ) for 2 week trip in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone,

Been trolling the forum and want to check peoples opinion on a PHP trip. We were originally going to head back to Monado (Indonesia) but asking price for accom + diving just doesn't make sense and travel time is hard.

Background
  • First time to PHP
  • Partner is a non-diver.
    • Doesn't mind a snorkel but not something she would want to do everyday
    • Likes exploring towns/restaurants
    • Beach time or nice hotel time (ie happy to be isolated for chunks of time but not the whole trip)
    • Animals + sights
  • Most of my diving has been across Indo, Fiji and Australia. Muck, wide-angle, pelagic, no real preference, I enjoy it all and comfortable in all conditions.
    • HATE crowds when diving
    • ..but don't mind a bar :)
Working Plan
  • Fly Melbourne -> Bohol via Manilla ( o/night flight + domestic, arrive around lunchtime)
  • Stay in Panglao a few nights
  • Chocolate Hills + Tarsier's
  • Anda for 5-7 nights
  • Ferry Bohol -> Dumaguete
  • Dauin for 5 nights
  • Dumaguete -> Melbourne
Depending on availability, might shorten/extend based on how a place feels

Questions
  • Would PG + Anilao be the better mix?
  • Would Moalboal + Malapascua be the better mix?
  • Should El Nido be on the map?
  • Is Dumaguete like a Phuket?
  • I know Dauin does not have good beaches but does have good resorts so "I think" that'll work
Appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers

1. May is HOT.
2. Leave El Nido out because it takes time to get there.
3. Dumaguate is far cry from Phuket.
4. Either Anda or Dauin. Save your time to explore other places.
5. Anilao is too boring for non diver. PG is a good all rounder but really expensive to travel there by private transfer. Van + speed boat is about P15,000.00 each way(A$400.00)!!!!

1. Malapascua + Moalboal + Dauin
2. Panglao(not my favourite place because of over development), Moalboal and Dauin.

Snorkelling with the whaleshark in Oslob(you have to decide if you want to do that).

Reactions: Lp
I think you have an ok plan.

Panglao is busy and touristic, but lot's to see topside like the tarsiers and fireflies trip.

I don't know Anda very well, but I think it's more isolated?
I believe most dive resorts are in Dauin not Dumaguette and Dauin is a very small town, we didn't see a lot of stuff to do besides diving, so if you pick it make this the "beach" part of the holiday.

For both diving, snorkeling and touristic place Moalboal is quite good. The dive (and possible snorkeling, but we only did diving) with the sardines is mesmerising and there were tons of small places offering massage at reasonable prices. Some nice restaurants as well. There are trips to Kawasan waterfalls (heard from a friend it's a really nice tour with amazing views).

Both Panglao and Moalboal are very crowded under water - you're basically diving in a line of divers and waiting your turn to see the interesting stuff (even if the guide/guest ratio is 1:4). This is especially true about Moalboal. We still enjoyed it.

For 2 weeks I would pick 2 places - it takes a long time to go anywhere in the Philippines.

Thanks Centrals;

1. May is HOT.

Would you reccomend waiting to next year then given any later and we're into the wet season?

1. Malapascua + Moalboal + Dauin
2. Panglao(not my favourite place because of over development), Moalboal and Dauin.

Snorkelling with the whaleshark in Oslob(you have to decide if you want to do that).
I'm not sure what the above meant. Did you mean to link those places instead of our plan?

I would have thought 1. Malapascua + Moalboal + Dauin would be a lot more travel.
Thanks

Hi diveUAE

I think you have an ok plan.

Panglao is busy and touristic, but lot's to see topside like the tarsiers and fireflies trip.
From what I read that's the goal, a few days in a place for my partners happiness (ie restaurants, bars, massages, nice hotels, things to see )

Perhaps Anda has all that but I haven't really been able to confirm?

For example we'd be far happier in a "Roatan" than a "Cancun" but I''m not seeing or reading anything that makes me think Panglao is over the top. On our last trip we just stayed at dive resorts and it's great for me but not for her.

I believe most dive resorts are in Dauin not Dumaguette and Dauin is a very small town, we didn't see a lot of stuff to do besides diving, so if you pick it make this the "beach" part of the holiday.
Problem there is Dauin doesn't have beach but does have nice resorts so i figure we can both win here given the diving looks v good.

For both diving, snorkeling and touristic place Moalboal is quite good. The dive (and possible snorkeling, but we only did diving) with the sardines is mesmerising and there were tons of small places offering massage at reasonable prices. Some nice restaurants as well. There are trips to Kawasan waterfalls (heard from a friend it's a really nice tour with amazing views).

Both Panglao and Moalboal are very crowded under water - you're basically diving in a line of divers and waiting your turn to see the interesting stuff (even if the guide/guest ratio is 1:4). This is especially true about Moalboal. We still enjoyed it.

For 2 weeks I would pick 2 places - it takes a long time to go anywhere in the Philippines.
Yeah, this is what i'm wondering - should I be sticking to Cebu or Bohol given I want to try make both of us happy.

Lp:
1. Would you reccomend waiting to next year then given any later and we're into the wet season?

2. I'm not sure what the above meant. Did you mean to link those places instead of our plan?

3. I would have thought 1. Malapascua + Moalboal + Dauin would be a lot more travel.
Thanks
1. NO. May is fine but just a wee bit hot and it is before the typhoon season.
2. YES.
3. Probably same as your. Nothing wrong with your except Alona Beach(my least favourite place in the country). And the quota system for diving at Balicasag is a JOKE.

Dauin + Sipalay(nice beach) on the same island of Negros.
Fly into Dumaguete and out from Bacolod to Manila.

Thanks Centrals.

I couldn't find much in Sipalay but google images looked good! Some diving shops there but not much i could find on the forums?

From what i understand, Bohol has the better beaches put Negros has better diving? Is that basically the trade so to speak?

Important I don't just focus on the diving given my partner is a non-diver

Cheers for all your help!!

1. NO. May is fine but just a wee bit hot and it is before the typhoon season.
2. YES.
3. Probably same as your. Nothing wrong with your except Alona Beach(my least favourite place in the country). And the quota system for diving at Balicasag is a JOKE.

Dauin + Sipalay(nice beach) on the same island of Negros.
Fly into Dumaguete and out from Bacolod to Manila.

Panglao should be fine for most people. Not sure about crowds in May, but in July they were almost non existent and we went to Balicasag every day.

On that trip we did a week in Camiguin with 6 days diving, one day travel to Bohol, 3 days diving there, day transfer to cebu/Moalboal, 5 more days of diving and back to cebu. You can easily do that route or modify it as you want, adding in malapascua or dumaguete and subbing out Camiguin if you wish (but that island is a hidden gem, decent diving if the conditions are right and amazing topside activities, but I'm biased cause I bought property there)

Ok so never heard of Camiguion (not another option!!!!) lol

Given all the diving is shore based (ie not live aboard but by local boat rides), which spot would you pick for closest access to quality sites

Panglao
Anda
Malapascua
Dauin
Moalboal
Camiguin

?

Sipalay has better beach than Alona Beach.

No experienced with this operator but believe it is under German management. The one that I had used couple of times, Artistic, is no longer offering diving.

Shore based diving is NOT that common in Philippines.
Malapascua, Moalboal and Dauin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom