Question 10 week Philippine vacation Feb 10 to April 20 with lots of diving- advise needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConeyIslander

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning a 10 week trip to PI with my girl friend Feb10 till April 20, 2024. While I have been to PI 3 times before and have done some diving there I can't say that I have "dove" the Philippines. I am hoping to change that a bit on this trip. We will be flying into Cebu from JFK. Flying coach on Korean Air RT for 1259.00US with reasonable layovers. We have booked two LoBs. The Infinity for seven days in Feb with a central Visyas itinerary and The Aggressor going to Tubbataha in April. I will lay out our tentative itinerary and travel flow with the questions I have, but I am open to all suggestions and advice.
We land in Cebu on Feb 11 and plan to take a taxi to Moalboal and stay at Quo Vadis Dive Resort for 6 nights. Any feedback on the Dive operator and resort would be helpful. -And we would certainly consider alternatives
Next we will return to Cebu to board the Infinity for our first LoB
The Infinity will leave us in Cebu on Feb 23 in the morning and we will be able to catch a ferry to Bohol to get to Panglao. Right now we planning on five nights but we can stay a day or two longer - I would be interested in feedback if 5 nights provides us with enough time there to relax and get in some of the better dives. We have been to Bohol before and seen most of the sights above water. I also did one day of diving by Anda Beach on that previous trip.
Not really sure where to stay in Panglao or who to dive with- As with so many places a lot has changed since covid. I was looking at Alona Vida Beach Resort which seems to be in the middle of a lot of the action, or Amarela Resort which is a little removed - I would be interested to hear any informed opinions about these hotels/location choices or others, as well as dive operators.
So now I am into around Feb 28 or 29 depending if I stay in Panglao 5 or 6 days- I now have about 8 days wide open. We were thinking of Boracay (which we have been to pre-redevelopment) and Caribou Islands or perhaps Davao (climb Mt Apo) and Samal. -
Suggestions would be welcome but at the end of this open 8 days, on Feb 8th, I would like to make my way to Coron to spend a week wreck diving and relaxing. So travel logistics are somewhat of a consideration.
While on Coron we were looking at staying closer to where the boats leave for the wrecks. The hotels that I was considering were Al Faro Cosmio or Marina Del Sol. They seems to be the more budget friendly options that area. If anyone has any advice for this leg of my journey I would love to hear it. My questions would be- Is this a decent area to stay, feedback on hotel options, a good dive center (seems like my only options are Gunters or Pirates Dive Center) and is four days diving two days lounging the right amount of time. After this we will do one night in Coron Town and then leave for a Tao five day trip to El Nido (I know Tao is a little contrived but we thought it would be fun). After 4 nights in El Nido we will them make our way down Palawan over a three day period to the Balabac Islands where we will do 4D3N. Then back up to PP for 4 nights to catch The Aggressor for a week of diving in Tubbataha. The Aggressor will drop us off back at PP on March 13. At that point we may just head back to Cebu to spend the the last 6 day on a beach relaxing.
So I know that was a long post as its a long journey with lots of stops and lots of question.
I would be grateful for any constructive feedback, and or travel tips.
Thank you all for your consideration.

Purely personal opinion:
1. You need to get the visa for 70 days before your arrival. Not everywhere in Philippines would have an immigration office to extend it.
2. Malapascua is better than Moalboal.
3. Mt Apo + Philippine eagle sounds interesting but diving in Samal is very ordinary. General Santos, three hrs away, with much better diving.
4. Staying close to the wrecks in Coron is expensive otherwise it will be a full day trip.
5. Balabac Island! This is the really remote part of the country, good on you.
6. Alona Beach is over developed.
7. Camotes Island for beach relaxing. Tulang Island offers the best diving there.

Be flexible with the itinerary and the travelling.
Have a nice one.

Purely personal opinion:
1. You need to get the visa for 70 days before your arrival. Not everywhere in Philippines would have an immigration office to extend it.
2. Malapascua is better than Moalboal.
3. Mt Apo + Philippine eagle sounds interesting but diving in Samal is very ordinary. General Santos, three hrs away, with much better diving.
4. Staying close to the wrecks in Coron is expensive otherwise it will be a full day trip.
5. Balabac Island! This is the really remote part of the country, good on you.
6. Alona Beach is over developed.
7. Camotes Island for beach relaxing. Tulang Island offers the best diving there.

Be flexible with the itinerary and the travelling.
Have a nice one.
Centrals thank you!!! You always provide great insight, I appreciate the response.

Yes staying by the wrecks in Coron is pretty isolated, less options and indeed more money- are you familiar with any of the dive operators near there? I think the the better accessibility to the sites may be worth the expense, perhaps get to the wrecks an hour before the boats leaving Coron Town. I may split my time 4 days by Conception and 4 days closer to town.

I have heard that Alona is crowded but I was not sure where else to stay or who to dive with - any suggestions would be welcome.

I believe I can extend my Visa in PP

Again Thank You for the response

You had already mentioned Gunter and he has been based in Coron for well over 25yrs.

I have dived Alona Beach many times but the development has convinced me not to bother any more. Others might not agree but.....
Pity that Sea Explorers has pulled out. If you are looking for a dive guide then you should ask about Felix(Swiss).
Stay somewhere away from the beach.

You had already mentioned Gunter and he has been based in Coron for well over 25yrs.

I have dived Alona Beach many times but the development has convinced me not to bother any more. Others might not agree but.....
Pity that Sea Explorers has pulled out. If you are looking for a dive guide then you should ask about Felix(Swiss).
Stay somewhere away from the beach.
Thanks again!!

As you know, you will receive a 30 day visa on arrival. You can renew your visa anytime before it expires for a 59 day extension. It looks like you might be in Coron towards the end of your 30 days - unless something changed since last I checked, there is no immigration office in Coron. So if you go that route you should consider where you will renew your visa and it might impact your travel plans. You might also consider a 59 day single entry visa from the consulate in Manhattan - cost $30. They are issued by mail only, and requires you to fill everything out on the web site before mailing your documents in, and the consulate requires 14 days to complete the process. The visa is valid for entry within 3 months of issue, so plenty of cushion in there. I'd get going on that at least a month ahead of your departure.
Visa - Philippine Consulate General
This gives you a little more flexibility, as you can renew for 30 days anytime after being in the country for 41 days of your 59 day visa - I'm counting so as to add validity to at least 71 days. (If you are in the area at the time, Lapu Lapu is reputed to be a great and fast immigration office to do business with.) Be advised that you will likely be required to register and obtain an Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR card) (extra $$, for stays over 59 days) in addition to pay an expedite fee. The good news is you are not staying long enough to require an exit clearance. Along with your passport bring a photocopy of your face page and visa stamp page as well as 2 passport sized photos. Might be more information then you need or want to know, but might save you a hassle in the thick of things.
Have fun, great time to be here.

As you know, you will receive a 30 day visa on arrival. You can renew your visa anytime before it expires for a 59 day extension. It looks like you might be in Coron towards the end of your 30 days - unless something changed since last I checked, there is no immigration office in Coron. So if you go that route you should consider where you will renew your visa and it might impact your travel plans. You might also consider a 59 day single entry visa from the consulate in Manhattan - cost $30. They are issued by mail only, and requires you to fill everything out on the web site before mailing your documents in, and the consulate requires 14 days to complete the process. The visa is valid for entry within 3 months of issue, so plenty of cushion in there. I'd get going on that at least a month ahead of your departure.
Visa - Philippine Consulate General
This gives you a little more flexibility, as you can renew for 30 days anytime after being in the country for 41 days of your 59 day visa - I'm counting so as to add validity to at least 71 days. (If you are in the area at the time, Lapu Lapu is reputed to be a great and fast immigration office to do business with.) Be advised that you will likely be required to register and obtain an Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR card) (extra $$, for stays over 59 days) in addition to pay an expedite fee. The good news is you are not staying long enough to require an exit clearance. Along with your passport bring a photocopy of your face page and visa stamp page as well as 2 passport sized photos. Might be more information then you need or want to know, but might save you a hassle in the thick of things.
Have fun, great time to be here.
Thank you very much for the detailed information. I believe I can extend my visa in Puerto Princesa, I have read that like the Lapu Lapu office the PP office is and efficient place to get extensions. I will check again to be sure. Getting the 59 days up front was my plan.

Sounds like a great itinerary :) If you are not settled on a resort after landing in Cebu, I would recommend Magic Island Dive Resort. I brought a group of over 15 divers and we were taken care of from airport pickup in Cebu to airport return 10 days later. It was tons of fun and we loved the diving there. We enjoyed some really special experiences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom