How special are we?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

of course we're special

after all

THIS IS SCUBA

300_canvas_leonidas1.jpg
How did you get my bachelor party picture? :D

During the OW course my instructor mentioned that cold water divers specifically make up a very small percentage of the world's population and that makes us somewhat of an elite group.
Being in a small group does not make one elite.

The # of state governors is much smaller than the # of senators - however - I think most people would regard senators as being much more elite than governors.

Serial killers are a much smaller group than divers. Does that make them more elite than divers?

I think 'special' fits. I mean, anyone who would spend thousands of dollars to freeze their butt off just do they can photograph pretty colored slugs must surely have ridden to school on the little bus. :eyebrow:

I am definitely lick-your-elbow-special. All divers, cold or warm, are sado-masochists. More M than S. Let's see, expensive gear and travel, everyone on boats are snotty, pee'd on, usually covered in icky particles (whatever is floating in the water), stung by all sorts of tiny critters, and smelly both in trunk, the gear room, and at least one bathroom of the house..... The list goes on. Scuba is so not a sexy outing, but damn if it isn't the best feeling one. Cold, no vis, waves, current, dark, bring it all. We love it. Yep- special all right.

NudeDiver:
The # of state governors is much smaller than the # of senators - however - I think most people would regard senators as being much more elite than governors.

I look at it exactly the opposite. A senator's job is to represent his state in the federal government. A governor's job is to lead his state. A governorship is a much more prestigious position, IMO.

I don't know if special is the word, but I remember pulling on a wetsuit in a freezing cold car park in Aberdeen, Scotland in February and looking around at all the other people doing so and gazing out at the choppy grey water and thinking: there can't be many people in the world that would consider this fun.

I look at it exactly the opposite. A senator's job is to represent his state in the federal government. A governor's job is to lead his state. A governorship is a much more prestigious position, IMO.
Ah, but your answer is based on the duties and responsibilities, not the size of the group.

Ah, but your answer is based on the duties and responsibilities, not the size of the group.

Okay, go with size of the group. How many Senators are there? Today there are 100 senators. How many governors? I'm pretty sure there's only one governor per state...... Making them the smaller group.

Okay, go with size of the group. How many Senators are there? Today there are 100 senators. How many governors? I'm pretty sure there's only one governor per state...... Making them the smaller group.
That's true. But the size of the group is not why Walter claims they are more elite - it's just coincidental.

Last edited:
IMO, the 'special' or elite status accorded to divers is due the rigorous selection and training process from the military that is hyped by Hollywood. Where I dive, there are a lot of field trips from local schools who watch me work from glass bottom boats. Those kids think that I am something very special and unique. I don't think I am anything special. I just dive there to get wet in clear water and have them fill my tanks for free.

Cold water divers are just a subset of divers, like cave and tech divers. I do underwater habitat restoration. Damn few of us, but that does not make us special, just different.

I dive mainly in California--Santa Barbara and Monterey areas. I learned in Washington State. I have no idea what the breakdown is as to warm water numbers vs. cold water. But it would appear that warm water has more. I have met many divers in California who will not dive here because it is too cold and too dirty--as compared to the tropics somewhere. I am not sure we are special--probably special ed! But what we have to deal with is: Terrible visibility, bone numbing cold, super buoyant exposure suits and substantially heavier weight systems--to sink the 7mm wet suits or crushed neoprene dry suits. We don't just get to throw on a 3mm Shorty and 8 lbs of lead and jump into the water and be able to see the bottom 80 ft down or find your buddy who may have drifted 20 feet away. Our gear is heavy and we need to stay much more focused because of temperatures and poor visibility. Maybe we're stupid? Anyway, I am sorry, but I do not know the numbers breakdown requested. Good luck, I look forward to learning the numbers myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom