How Rigorous Should Training Be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone silts something at some point. The issue is if you're silting due to a lack of skill.

I know a diver that got hung up on a line in peacock, and actually ROLLED OVER in the progress of untangling himself (buddy?), and his tanks hit the bottom. That's an instance of lack of skill, imo.

Things getting dusty because of negotiating a restriction, real silty cave (you know the ones, where your breathing is enough to stir it up) is part of cave diving. However, being sloppy doesn't have to be part of cave diving.

Agreed, silting isnt really an issue unless its due to skill. I have issues seeing 4 to 6 inch pieces of broken cave when there is no need for it, especially when its in a main passage.

Oh, I'm always self critical about everything. I come home from work shifts and lie awake looking at the ceiling and wondering how I could have moved faster or more effectively; I obsess while I'm riding about whether I'm part of the reason my horse isn't giving me right answers, and I flinch at every errant fin brush of something in a cave. It's who I am, and part of why cave diving appeals to me, to be honest!

I'm not afraid of silt, but that passage surprised me. Rob told me we'd swim it and silt it out, and I looked at it and thought, "I'll show him; I'm better than that. I can get through here cleanly." And, to my rather shocked surprise, I couldn't at all. It was a good lesson in how to look ahead and evaluate the passage ahead of me.

And my harness, my dry suit, my shorts, my regulators and my hands were COVERED in red clay silt half an hour later, at the end of the dive. Another big surprise!

the biggest trick is to brush all that off before anyone sees. it's a skill i dont think you can really pick up until you come to florida :wink:

Oh, I'm always self critical about everything. I come home from work shifts and lie awake looking at the ceiling and wondering how I could have moved faster or more effectively; I obsess while I'm riding about whether I'm part of the reason my horse isn't giving me right answers, and I flinch at every errant fin brush of something in a cave. It's who I am, and part of why cave diving appeals to me, to be honest!

I'm not afraid of silt, but that passage surprised me. Rob told me we'd swim it and silt it out, and I looked at it and thought, "I'll show him; I'm better than that. I can get through here cleanly." And, to my rather shocked surprise, I couldn't at all. It was a good lesson in how to look ahead and evaluate the passage ahead of me.

And my harness, my dry suit, my shorts, my regulators and my hands were COVERED in red clay silt half an hour later, at the end of the dive. Another big surprise!

Good ole Rob!! Dive with Edd sometimes, he loves silty passages. I think he likes zero viz!!

Remember, I'm JJW, not JJ.
For the uninitiate, JJW stands for JJ Wannabe. I just wanted to clear that up. :D

I know a diver that got hung up on a line in peacock, and actually ROLLED OVER in the progress of untangling himself (buddy?), and his tanks hit the bottom. That's an instance of lack of skill, imo.
You're actually describing someone in this thread in the Nicholson Tunnel! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

LiteHedded:
the biggest trick is to brush all that off before anyone sees. it's a skill i dont think you can really pick up until you come to florida

I was behind them on the way out so they didn't see me doing that... :cool2:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I was behind them on the way out so they didn't see me doing that... :cool2:

you can always tell who the out of towner is on the team. it's the one that didn't brush their knees off

Cave Diver -- I hope Lynne answered your question as to my aversion to criticism. Hey, I'm just an old, fat, bald guy with a very thin skin -- just one more reason I didn't take Cave 1 and Cave 2 from GUE!

OK -- seriously -- we all need to be self-critical but NOT self-flagellating like some people I know! And in all honesty, I believe I'm a pretty good Cave Diver FOR THE AMOUNT I get to do. And because I believe I have a good sense of my skills, I try hard NOT to get into a situations where I will cause damage.

But, I will certainly admit, I have screwed up once or twice AND as a result, damaged something. I ain't perfect!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom