Question How old are you and how long certified? Poll- please take part!

How old are you and how long certified?

• 10-18

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • 19-29

Votes: 101 9.1%
  • 30-39

Votes: 178 16.0%
  • 40-49

Votes: 230 20.7%
  • 50-59

Votes: 263 23.7%
  • 60-69

Votes: 238 21.4%
  • 70-79

Votes: 79 7.1%
  • 80-89

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • 90 and over

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

58. Certified OW in 2021. Self-certified as a Warm Water Pretty Fish snorkeler in 1995. Spent the next 25 years limiting myself to the surface because I was convinced (without medical consultation or empirical evidence) that I would not be able to dive due to the atmospheric pressures involved. When a relative by marriage wanted to get an OW certification I agreed to do a PADI Discover Scuba dive. 15 minutes into that dive I discovered that (1) the atmospheric pressures underwater don't affect me the way that I thought they would and (2) that I was officially addicted to scuba diving. Still limiting myself (for now) to Warm Water Pretty Fish diving because I am a wuss who truly detests being cold, although reading several threads here I can see the attraction to cold water diving for braver souls than I...

44. Been diving since I was 15, though I'm now only progressing toward Dive Instructor.

24 y/o and certified this July, with a whopping 7 dives :cool:

I can feel the tremendous enthusiasm from all of you, thank you for bringing those feelings back for me

47, certified in 2018, they guy that got me into diving has only gotten back in the water x2 with me since then x1 other time with his daughters. The first couple years were really slow trying to get him to dive, then I switched into diving with other groups and now the dive club at the shop, and things really took off. Achieved Master Diver, then went divemaster with PADI, now finishing Instructor with NAUI. Out of all the crazy things I have done, diving is by far my most favorite. I have several other hobbies that have not been touched in the last few years.

There’s another thread about old fart divers over 50, which spurred the question about the possibility of most of the divers on SB being over 50.
So I’m just curious to see what the age makeup of divers is here.
You can elaborate if you wish about age, how long you’ve been certified, how many dives, what type of diving, any other details you have to make it interesting and a good read.
73 yo. First certified in 1976. Recertified 2 yrs ago. AOW cert last year. Much more diving opportunity when retired and spending Winters in Fla

What differences did you see in the training between getting certified in 1976 as opposed to the re-cert a few years ago?
Seriously, I'm 73. I barely remember my recent Cert?!:) Actually much more detailed and emphasis on safety and drills than in the past. More in water sessions. Much greater emphasis on buoyancy control.

Back
Top Bottom