Question How old are you and how long certified? Poll- please take part!

How old are you and how long certified?

• 10-18

Votes: 14 1.3%
  • 19-29

Votes: 95 8.8%
  • 30-39

Votes: 173 16.0%
  • 40-49

Votes: 221 20.4%
  • 50-59

Votes: 258 23.9%
  • 60-69

Votes: 235 21.7%
  • 70-79

Votes: 77 7.1%
  • 80-89

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • 90 and over

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be 59 at the end of the month and I began diving when I was 14. I stopped counting my dives after I filled my first log book, which was somewhere around 1985(?).

I find it intresteing for the 40 and 50 year olds, what the difference in someone's life circumstance that makes almost 50% of the divers chose their 40's or 50's to start? Is it akin to a "late bloomer"? And, why is it most do not start until they are in their 40's? Is it because of maturity, stability, money, children situation, or even divorce? Speaking of, I wonder how many people start Scuba because of divorce? I know of a local AA scene in one area where a lot of people get into Scuba, so that is their entry point.

For me, 10 years an Expat it was time to have a different focus for traveling and since the beach is always home, scuba made sense for me!

Sociology has always interested me and has been a focal point in my travels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom